Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my water pump.I've read that you should replace the optispark at the same time while your there. I have 47,000 miles on my 96 LT1. I was going to just use stock GM parts ( i can get parts at a discount from my GM buddy) any comments or tips?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Water Pump

I need to replace my water pump.I've read that you should replace the optispark at the same time while your there. I have 47,000 miles on my 96 LT1. I was going to just use stock GM parts ( i can get parts at a discount from my GM buddy) any comments or tips?
I use Avance all the time & The Parts Work ! Just Fine !

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got my water pupm from Autozone and it works fine.. My Optispark was purchased off ebay where I bought an Accel unit. I also replaced my coil with an MSD coil. Everything fit fine and works great, so far. :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Your car is a 1996 and as such has the improved optispark. Unless it is malfuctioning do not mess with it................Also, if your water pump is leaking DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE..........

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Best thing you can do is to dump at&t as an isp!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your car is a 1996 and as such has the improved optispark. Unless it is malfuctioning do not mess with it................Also, if your water pump is leaking DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE..........
i agree, when i replaced my water pump people said i had to automaticly replace my distributor. i caught the leak early and absolutely no harm was done to the distributor. if it ain't broke it doesn't need replacing.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Optispark

An Optispark is awfully expensive and doesn't need to be replaced unless it's failed. I would just replace the water pump. A good brand name new or rebuilt water pump is every bit as good as a G.M. so I wouldn't bother going back with a G.M.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
if you happen to replace the water pump oil seal, make sure you use the special tool for it..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts