Chevy Corvette Forum banner

replace auto shift knob

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  randers 
#1 ·
I want to replace the auto shift knob on my 78.the old one is just discolored.I got the new one from ecklers and it looks like it is just pressure fit on and you just muscle the old one off and the new one on?(of course after you remove the button and spring.
has anyone done it and can advise
thanks

#3 ·
Mr. Slayer is correct. I have had mine off on a couple of different occasions, and unless your year is different, they are just threaded on, easy. I have a friend who is an artist, and I had this funky idea that a hand carved shift knob would be super cool, but I cannot seem to get anybody with the ability passionate about it...

T.Huck

#10 ·
Just put my new one on (from Ecklers)yesterday and yes just unscrew the button ,spring comes out, then unscrew ball and reverse to put new one on . I asked origanally because I was afraid there might be other moving parts that I might not know how to reasemble and the car would be stuck in the drive,but its the easies tthing you will ever do on a car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.