Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
I remember a guy selling a kit to install zerks in the trailing arms. I did it the early 80's on my 77and they worked great. I will have to find the paper work. I am sure I have it somewhere. It was specific where to drill and if I remember you had to drill a 1 inch hole to get to the inner race.

Wish me luck on finding the paper work. If I find it I will scan it and either post it or send it to those who want it.

· Registered
20 Posts
A zerk should never be used unless a vent hole is added to relieve the pressure once the hub gets filled. Without a vent the seals would get pushed out.
I never had a problem popping the seals. The seals are not air tight and there is plenty of room for the grease expand into. I greased them 3 times which was about 150,000 miles worth. If I recall correctly the instructions said 4 lever pumps of high temp disk brake wheel bearing grease for every 90 degrees of the spindle rotation. After that I blew the rear end and had it replaced along with the new bearings since everything was apart. The guys who did the work said the bearings were in good shape and thought the zerk fittings were a great idea, but I still replaced the bearings.

I have just replaced the trailing arms for this current restro-mod on my 77, again everything was apart. I am not sure if I will install the zerks or not. The mileage might not be there?

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.