Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Smokin Vendor
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 68500 on my 01. My extended warranty expired at 67500. I thought about renewing it and thought of the convience of just taking it to the dealer and saying "fix it". I extended it again last week for $4000 for another 36,000 miles and last night my side lumbar bladders stopped holding air. I got the platium one with Fidelity that covers so much only lists the exclusions. One was "air bags" and i thought maybe the bladders would be considered "airbags". I called them today and they said under the platium air bags are only the ones in the restaint systems and would cover the bladders. Said bring it to the dealer and have them fixed using my $50 deductable. Gotta cost at least $800 to replace them at a GM dealership!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I bought a refundable one when mine was new
never used it and got my money back

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've used mine only once, for a steering wheel positioning sensor. It's good up to 75K or Nov12, which ever comes first. I'm sitting at 47,6 now. I haven't decided if I'm going to extend mine again.

·
Smokin Vendor
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used mine only once, for a steering wheel positioning sensor. It's good up to 75K or Nov12, which ever comes first. I'm sitting at 47,6 now. I haven't decided if I'm going to extend mine again.
You have a good warranty and i have become a believer. I bought my 01 with 24000 2 years back and paid $1600 for the Gold for 36000or 3 years. By the time it expired at 64000 the warranty paid $5500 for repairs including a new radiator. I paid $4000 for this as is Platium which will cover all the small things the gold didnot. What i see coming is Struts, wheel bearing, headsup display, ac compressor, the passenger seat lumbar, rearview mirror dosnt dim, seat and mirror memmory acting up, trunk lit opening, heat/ac actuators. with these its up to close $5000. The thing about these platinum warranties is that i will fix things i would not normally fix right away and the best thing is that I MADE A 1/4 DEPOSIT AND PAYMENTS OF $245 A MONTH FOR THE BALANCE. This also includes towing. These high end cars need insurance as with medical. No difference!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I think it's a wise investment. When I got mine in 2008 it only had 8462 miles on it. The car had been sitting for almost 8 months. I went with Warranty Direct. As I said before, It was money well spent. Good luck to you brother. :patriot:

·
Smokin Vendor
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No warranty on my 02, maybe something I should look int getting?
The thing here is the milage on the vette as have catagory dates and this is where the prices come from. For example 0 to 20,000 is is about $1200, 20 to 50 is about $1600 and 50 to 70 is about $3200. 70,000 is the important milage as over that is really expensive. The thing here is to get the Platinum not the Gold as will cover all the small thing you would not normally fix as this type of coverage will keep your Vett as new condition. The Platinum covers everything except tires, hoses, battery, airbags and belts. It will cover even the small things like the trunk not poping open. If and when your passenger side heat/ac actuator goes you will have to take the whole dash apart to get at it and this has to be at least $2000 to fix never mind the traction control. As i mentioned you can put down a deposit and make interest free payments. If your Vette has under 70,000 miles get the Platinum. You have to be careful about which warranty company you go with as some are a scam. I went with Access Warranty in L.A at first and did a phone contract and made a deposit (with a 30 no question asked concellation clause) i then googled them and many ripoff reports came up so i cancelled it the next week. I called the Chevy dealer here and said to go with Fidelity which i did as have a great reputation with dealerships. You cannot contact them direct but have to go through a Chevy dealer to get it. Call the dealers around you to see about it. Make sure you tell them you want to make payments. I bet that of all the C5's out there, they need at least $5000 of sitting repairs that the owners would not normally fix as choose to put up with it as is too costly to fix them. Beside getting the "Platinum" get the $50 deductible.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I think those warrenties are good for those who cannot make repairs themselves..repairs at the dealer is expensive...but , like some of us, I can make any necessary repair for the cost of parts alone.. and $5,000 will by a lot of parts.,especially when your warrenty is limited to a specific mileage window of 20-30K.. I haven t spent more than $500 on parts since I owned my C5.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I gotta agree except for one thing , and this was the main reason I had bought one , catastrophic or computer failures
The other was that mine was refundable if not used and I knew I'd fix just about anything myself after the warranty expired

Now that replacement prices are so cheap , $$$$$ isn't really an issue to me anymore , but at the time , some parts were just crazy on pricing

·
Registered
47 Posts
So far my extended warranty has been a real benefit. It has covered an alternator repair, and I'm now currently getting the water pump replaced. Unfortunately, there will probably be some electrical issues coming down the pike in the future. Not being that mechanically inclined, I knew it was something that I really needed to have. Initally hearing some horror stories from friends about electrical problems had with their C5's is what prompted me to inquire about the extended warranty to begin with.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Same here, the mechanical part I can handle myself. The complex electrical part is what prompted me to an extended warranty. The only thing I regret is my warranty limits me to the mods I can perform.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts