Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there that much difference in sound when removing the center speaker? If so, how do you remove it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Confused now, I was told it also made the stereo sound better. Anyone else remove theirs?
It's up to the individual listener. Before you do anything, you can test it by just covering and uncovering the speaker to see if there is enough difference to warrant disconnecting it. A mouse pad works well for a covering if you want to try it. I was going to disconnect mine based on what others had said, but decided not to after testing it out. There just wasn't enough difference for me.
If you want to remove or disconnect the speaker, you have to pry up the grille very carefully so as to not break the grille since it's plastic. It has push in tabs which hold it in place. Protect the dash while you are prying so you don't gouge it. The speaker is under the grille. Also remember that the light sensor is part of that grille assembly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It's up to the individual listener. Before you do anything, you can test it by just covering and uncovering the speaker to see if there is enough difference to warrant disconnecting it. A mouse pad works well for a covering if you want to try it. I was going to disconnect mine based on what others had said, but decided not to after testing it out. There just wasn't enough difference for me.
If you want to remove or disconnect the speaker, you have to pry up the grille very carefully so as to not break the grille since it's plastic. It has push in tabs which hold it in place. Protect the dash while you are prying so you don't gouge it. The speaker is under the grille. Also remember that the light sensor is part of that grille assembly.
I see, I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
People doing this mode are people with the BOSE system in the vette.Those are the one I've heard that make it sound better without that speaker.Simple process.POP the center grill,remove about 3 bolts and that's it.Well,disconnect it too:coffeetime:

·
Registered
332 Posts
when i use onstar it appears the voice is coming from the center speaker...is this my imagination or old age!?!?
I think you are right. That is what I thought the center speaker was for, not so much for radio, but for navigation and onstar stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the record, I just removed the center channel speaker in my 2010 C6 and the difference is HUGE!|

Anyone who says it doesn't make enough of a difference can't distinguish sound quality at all.

The sound from this speaker made me cringe, and after removing it, the stereo is almost bearable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts