Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Smokin Vendor
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all you believers out there, including Asian, Jewish, Christian, and Muslim. Please explain why your religion is the TRUE one. Come on as would like to hear from each in this post. So dont be shy!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
To all you believers out there, including Asian, Jewish, Christian, and Muslim. Please explain why your religion is the TRUE one. Come on as would like to hear from each in this post. So dont be shy!
E., none of the above.

Organized religion is a conspiracy by the unconscionable to subjugate the unenlightened.

Although it would be convenient and comforting to "Believe," I don't.

I do, however, respect the right of the believer to practice their religion, whatever one that may be. Just don't try to practice it on me; you won't like my response.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Chrisitianity is a true religion. None of the other religions have "GODS" that walked the earth and has fulfilled 47 out of 48 prophicies. Mathmaticians will tell you that the probibility of a mere mortal doing this is impossible. Besides the world just did not happen or appear. think about it: the sun, any closer to us and we burn, any further away and we freeze. you guys do know what the last prophicy is????

·
Registered
908 Posts
E., none of the above.

Organized religion is a conspiracy by the unconscionable to subjugate the unenlightened.

I do, however, respect the right of the believer to practice their religion, whatever one that may be. Just don't try to practice it on me; you won't like my response.
I agree 100% . I do believe in God and Jesus but I also believe in reincarnation or coming back in a new body when we die.

I'm sure my opinion won't be popular. :eek2:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I believe there is a God or some divine power out there, but I don't believe any one or any religion has figured it out. IMO religion is man's attempt at understanding the existence of God, but no one knows and no one ever can. That's where the whole faith thing comes in.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
E., none of the above.

:thumbsup3: I totally agree

·
Smokin Vendor
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come all!! Do only Christians and Atheists drive Vetts, what about you Muslims and Jewish and Hindues and Buddists out there. SPEAK UP!!! nows your chance!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
what would osama drive ?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
They are all the same:

1- They tell you that their version of the "truth" is the only one.

2- They try to scare you into following their rules by telling you that if you do not you will go to hell.

In the end religion was a clever invention to keep people submissive and under control. It works great too: look at how monarchy back in the middle ages sanctified their kings and used that to keep the population ignorant and obedient. And look at how muslim theocracies keep people poor, stupid and obedient -to the point of dying and killing for their causes-. Today modern religions have also become fantastically profitable. The catholic church is the largest land owner in the world, and the church of mormon is a multi billion dollar corporation, as are several other churches.

They're all the same, the only difference are minor tweaks on the main story line and on what they set out to accomplish.

IMHO...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I believe there is a God or some divine power out there, but I don't believe any one or any religion has figured it out. IMO religion is man's attempt at understanding the existence of God, but no one knows and no one ever can. That's where the whole faith thing comes in.
Beyond that, the creation of the concept of one (or more) God (s) is an attempt by man to attach an explanation to events to which they are unable to apply any other explanation, e.g., to explain the unexplainable.

Human nature does not change. For the past ten or more years, with the emergence of the Internet, humans have created stories of pure fiction and others, believing that because they came via the Internet they were gospel, blindly and mindlessly forwarded those pieces of fiction to everyone on their email list. As a result, we have hundreds of pieces of pure fiction that have taken on a life of their own and they spend their days circumnavigating the digital network. About 100 or more years ago, humans created the stories about Paul Bunyan, Babe the Blue Ox, Pecos Bill, John Henry and numerous others to explain things people back then didn't know. A couple of hundred years ago the Brothers Grimm recorded orally transmitted tales and published a series of books. Many of those tales relate spiritual or moral truths; an attempt to provide lessons to the unenlightened masses. Then, between 2000 and 3000 years ago there was Aesop, the Greek, Jataka and Panchatantra, the (Asian) Indians who spun their tales and fables that also attempted to present moral truths. Around that same time and earlier the stories of both the New and Old Testament were spun. All of these tales, stories and fables, including those of the Bible were spun, embellished and adjusted to fit the needs of the spinners.

They all are attempts to establish the standards of conduct desired by those who told the tales. And, they describe dire consequences for those who deviate from the standards; you're going to be turned into a pillar of salt or you're going to H3LL if you don't follow God's rules.

They are all just as fictional as the admonitions your mother gave you; if you play with it you will go blind, if you get a BB gun you will put your eye out, if you tell a lie your nose will grow, and hundreds of other attempts to scare you into the desired behavior.

·
Registered
908 Posts
They are all the same:

1- They tell you that their version of the "truth" is the only one.

2- They try to scare you into following their rules by telling you that if you do not you will go to hell.

In the end religion was a clever invention to keep people submissive and under control. It works great too: look at how monarchy back in the middle ages sanctified their kings and used that to keep the population ignorant and obedient. And look at how muslim theocracies keep people poor, stupid and obedient -to the point of dying and killing for their causes-. Today modern religions have also become fantastically profitable. The catholic church is the largest land owner in the world, and the church of mormon is a multi billion dollar corporation, as are several other churches.

They're all the same, the only difference are minor tweaks on the main story line and on what they set out to accomplish.

IMHO...
Well said. :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Pappytinker - They are all just as fictional as the admonitions your mother gave you;
Jesus is fictional?? I guess the miracles he performed were just tricks, lots of stupid people back in those days.

Oh well... Anyway, Have you experienced anything that you could not explain.
Life for example, are you sure that you can tell us how life started?
Anybody that understands math or physics knows that 1+1=2, 0+1=1 and 0+0=0. Now the last one is very important, because if there is nothing to start with, then you end up with nothing. You have to have something to start with.
But if you have just even a small fraction of something to build with, then you have a base to build upon anything. WHERE did that small fraction of something come from? Did life just appear out of nowhere, the big bang, the internals in the furnace of exploding stars, the primordial soup, a few magic particles came together and poof... here we are? Even the primordial soup had to have a beginning. We can explain what we are made of, we are the elements that are created in exploding stars, but where did the first breath of life take place, where did that spark, the thing that makes something alive or dead come from? God, A Supreme Being, A Supernatural Spirit, The Anti-matter of Life..? There are more mysteries than we can explain. Look at how magnificent and complicated the human body is. Is that just a freak of nature? We can reason and understand where we are in the cosmos but we can't explain how life began. And where does it go when we die? And all for nothing? There are more dimensions and levels than we know or understand, the math from String Theory and M-Theory has taught us that. Such simple minds if you think this is all there is.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
jesus is fictional?? I guess the miracles he performed were just tricks, lots of stupid people back in those days.
jesus was not fictional
his miracles were fictional

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Beyond that, the creation of the concept of one (or more) God (s) is an attempt by man to attach an explanation to events to which they are unable to apply any other explanation, e.g., to explain the unexplainable.

Human nature does not change. For the past ten or more years, with the emergence of the Internet, humans have created stories of pure fiction and others, believing that because they came via the Internet they were gospel, blindly and mindlessly forwarded those pieces of fiction to everyone on their email list. As a result, we have hundreds of pieces of pure fiction that have taken on a life of their own and they spend their days circumnavigating the digital network. About 100 or more years ago, humans created the stories about Paul Bunyan, Babe the Blue Ox, Pecos Bill, John Henry and numerous others to explain things people back then didn't know. A couple of hundred years ago the Brothers Grimm recorded orally transmitted tales and published a series of books. Many of those tales relate spiritual or moral truths; an attempt to provide lessons to the unenlightened masses. Then, between 2000 and 3000 years ago there was Aesop, the Greek, Jataka and Panchatantra, the (Asian) Indians who spun their tales and fables that also attempted to present moral truths. Around that same time and earlier the stories of both the New and Old Testament were spun. All of these tales, stories and fables, including those of the Bible were spun, embellished and adjusted to fit the needs of the spinners.

They all are attempts to establish the standards of conduct desired by those who told the tales. And, they describe dire consequences for those who deviate from the standards; you're going to be turned into a pillar of salt or you're going to H3LL if you don't follow God's rules.

They are all just as fictional as the admonitions your mother gave you; if you play with it you will go blind, if you get a BB gun you will put your eye out, if you tell a lie your nose will grow, and hundreds of other attempts to scare you into the desired behavior.
WELL SAID AND AGAIN I TOTALLY AGREE :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Jesus is fictional?? I guess the miracles he performed were just tricks, lots of stupid people back in those days.

Oh well... Anyway, Have you experienced anything that you could not explain.
Life for example, are you sure that you can tell us how life started?
Anybody that understands math or physics knows that 1+1=2, 0+1=1 and 0+0=0. Now the last one is very important, because if there is nothing to start with, then you end up with nothing. You have to have something to start with.
I do not believe that "Jesus" was fictional. However, he could have been the result of stories and embellishments over the years. What I do believe is that IF he existed, he was no more than a mortal. I do not believe in "miracles." Miracles to some are nothing more than the difference of knowing the trick and not knowing the trick. To a primitive tribe in central South America, a Zippo is a miracle.

I do not know how life started, I wasn't there. I don't know if there was a supreme being that put a finger in the primordial soup and gave it a stir or if it was a random spark of lightning. Over the trillions of years since the Big Bang, random chance was a viable option. As to how life started, I don't need to know how or why or who or what. All that matters is that it did start.

As to what happens when life is over, the end, nada, nothing, consciousness ceases. It is neither a convenient nor a comforting belief to harbor, I will admit but I will not make myself believe something just to become comfortable.

P.S., your math analogy is fallacious, it was chemistry and there was something; the basic particles existed from infinity past and will exist to infinity future.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I do not believe that "Jesus" was fictional. However, he could have been the result of stories and embellishments over the years. What I do believe is that IF he existed, he was no more than a mortal. I do not believe in "miracles." Miracles to some are nothing more than the difference of knowing the trick and not knowing the trick. To a primitive tribe in central South America, a Zippo is a miracle.

I do not know how life started, I wasn't there. I don't know if there was a supreme being that put a finger in the primordial soup and gave it a stir or if it was a random spark of lightning. Over the trillions of years since the Big Bang, random chance was a viable option. As to how life started, I don't need to know how or why or who or what. All that matters is that it did start.

As to what happens when life is over, the end, nada, nothing, consciousness ceases. It is neither a convenient nor a comforting belief to harbor, I will admit but I will not make myself believe something just to become comfortable.

P.S., your math analogy is fallacious, it was chemistry and there was something; the basic particles existed from infinity past and will exist to infinity future.
Damn!
you are spot on !:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Really... Mathematics is used widely in chemistry as well as all other sciences. Mathematical calculations are absolutely necessary to explore important concepts in chemistry,
differentiation, integration, eigenfunctions and eigenvalues, error analysis, use of simple mathematical equations, such as moles=mass/molar mass, and more complex equations such as the Guggenheim equation, algebra, vectors, matrices... the list goes on.

Ever see a periodic table? http://www.ptable.com/ Lots of atomic numbers.
The periodic table of the chemical elements is a tabular display of the chemical elements. Every known element consist of one type of atom distinguished by its atomic number, which is the number of protons in its nucleus.
1) The atom is a basic unit of matter that consists of a dense, central nucleus surrounded by a cloud of negatively charged electrons.
2) The proton is a subatomic particle with a positive electric charge of 1 elementary charge. One or more protons are present in the nucleus of each atom, along with neutrons.
3) The neutron is a subatomic particle with no net electric charge and a mass slightly larger than that of a proton. With the exception of hydrogen, nuclei of atoms consist of protons and neutrons, which are therefore collectively referred to as nucleons. The number of protons in a nucleus is the atomic number and defines the type of element the atom forms. The number of neutrons is the neutron number and determines the isotope of an element. For example, the abundant carbon-12 isotope has 6 protons and 6 neutrons, while the very rare radioactive carbon-14 isotope has 6 protons and 8 neutrons.
4) The electron is a subatomic particle carrying a negative electric charge. It has no known components or substructure. Therefore, the electron is generally believed to be an elementary particle.[2] An electron has a mass that is approximately 1/1836 that of the proton.

Chemical matter itself constitutes only about 15% of the total matter in the universe. The remainder of matter is dark matter which is of unknown composition, but that is not believed to consist of atoms of chemical elements, since it does not contain the protons, neutrons and electrons needed to form atoms as we know them.

Over the trillions of years since the Big Bang - the basic particles existed from infinity past and will exist to infinity future.
P.S.
More math..
The Big Bang occurred between 12 and 14 billion years ago. (Not trillions, or infinity past) To put this in perspective, our Solar System is thought to be 4.5 billion years old. Humans started using fire about 250,000 years ago.
Scientists believe The universe is likely to remain hospitable to life for at least an additional 100 billion years. That's 20 times as long as the earth has existed, and 5 million times as long as Homo sapiens has lasted so far, but
Expansion wins out, then the universe will eventually grow unpleasantly dark and cold. Stars produce energy by fusing light atomic nuclei, mainly hydrogen and helium, into heavier ones. When the hydrogen and helium run low, old stars will sputter out without any new ones to take their place, and the universe will gradually fade to black. (Not exist to infinity future.)

Don't you guys ever watch the Science Channel? :smilielol5:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts