Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a crank put in from engine builder. Instead of grinding mine or new one, He said he got a reground one that was the same. When i installed Haronice balancer.
It installed on crank about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2, about halfway on the Harmonic balance. Are their ( 350 5.7) cranks shorter then others or they all the Same lenght up front.?
Its push on all the way. But Crank is about 2/3 or 6/10's into it. with a 1inch space to washer/bolt.
Bolt is long. and has no threads all the way up. So it looks like their is a natural gap in balancer.
Cant figure out why GM would leave a void.
Do you understand this thread??

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Your balancer is not far enough on the crank for the bolt to engage, it is a press type fit. You need to get a grade 8 bolt that is long enough to engage the crank and use that to pull the balancer on to the crank far enough so that the "real" bolt can engage the crank and be torqued to 60ft lbs, then it will be all the way on and properly torqued.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It never ceases to AMAZE me tht there is such a wealth of knowledge here.......I want to replace my headlights with hi intensity ones and had a hard time figuring out how to get the cover off....thank God people like you are willing to help out like minded folks. :patriot::patriot: :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I had a crank put in from engine builder. Instead of grinding mine or new one, He said he got a reground one that was the same. When i installed Haronice balancer.
It installed on crank about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2, about halfway on the Harmonic balance. Are their ( 350 5.7) cranks shorter then others or they all the Same lenght up front.?
Its push on all the way. But Crank is about 2/3 or 6/10's into it. with a 1inch space to washer/bolt.
Bolt is long. and has no threads all the way up. So it looks like their is a natural gap in balancer.
Cant figure out why GM would leave a void.
Do you understand this thread??

It's absolutely imperative you get it all the way on because it holds the cam's drive sprocket in place once it gets torqued. The drive sprocket is keyed with a Woodruff key but the key is only there to index it correctly.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Use a harmonic balancer tool. You can rent them and Auto Zone may have one to lend. DO NOT USE THE BOLT that holds it on as a tool. Also, do not use a hammer as it can **** things up too. It's ok to use a little bit of lube on the nose of the crank.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's absolutely imperative you get it all the way on because it holds the cam's drive sprocket in place once it gets torqued. The drive sprocket is keyed with a Woodruff key but the key is only there to index it correctly.
Good to know that but its pressed on far as it can.. Just their is a void the last 1 inch or so. Crank goes into Balancer 2/3 only.
Bolt is 2 inchs or so and has a space where no thread are. So there is a natural space. I cant believe there is a space. Could previous someone put wrong bolt.
How long is Harmonic balancer Bolt.
Maybe someone switched. Really would like someone to measesure it. I have total C4 cat on parts. I dont see the Bolts length, in chart. Please would like to seriously know a true measurement. Urgent.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
How did you press it on? You can not just push it on. The original bolt will not reach long enough to get it started, you have to obtain a longer bolt to get it started or use a harmonic balancer tool. Also, if you think there is real problem with the crank take the engine back to the builder...........

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
If I recall the nose of the crankshaft will end up being about 1/8" shy of being flush with the face of the damper. The bolt is supposed to have a 1/4" thick washer on it and I believe the bolt is about 1-1/2" long.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I recall the nose of the crankshaft will end up being about 1/8" shy of being flush with the face of the damper. The bolt is supposed to have a 1/4" thick washer on it and I believe the bolt is about 1-1/2" long.
Crank does not go that far in. TO the 1/8 mark. Need actual accurate answer. Seen many took pictures. I should have.

I installed quite a few balancers. This one looks different. But I looked up one on line. And they dont go all the way on. There looks like a 3/4 space. But I want to hear it from someone here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts