Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good differential fluid that would be considered a upgrade from what is put in these cars from factory?

Anyone use the Amsoil differential fluid?

·
Smokin Vendor
68 Posts
What's a good differential fluid that would be considered a upgrade from what is put in these cars from factory?

Anyone use the Amsoil differential fluid?
AMSOIL conducted a very comprehensive gear lube study you might be interested in. Even if you discount the AMSOIL in this study, it is a good read. FYI, Royal Purple faired very poorly compared to the other fluids in the test.
AMSOIL Gear Lube “White Paper” (2 MB pdf file)

I've been using the AMSOIL gear lube in my 02 Z06 since my 2004 race season. Very good fluid that has saved my diff at least once. The left axle seal is a common problem on C5s and I had mine fail in a race in 2005 and ended up losing about half my diff fluid during a race - but the diff survived (and I won). I rebuilt the diff after that race as a precaution. Interestingly, replaced the left axle seal last weekend as well. If you see fluid near the left rear of the car, this is likely the cause.

AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 (Product Code SVGQT)
AMSOIL Slip-Lock Differential Additive (Product Code ADATB)
AMSOIL Hand Pump (Product Code G2039)

The Severe Gear 75w90 comes with friction modifier already in it and I don't use extra modifier in my 02 Z06 and didn't use it in my 06 CTS-V which was my daily driver from 06-09, but for some reason the C6 diff behaves differently and for the C6 I recommend one tube of the Slip Lock additive.
:cheers:

·
Registered
332 Posts
If your rear end doesn't make any clatter, do you recommend changing the diff oil as preventive maintenance?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts