Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1980 vette. The front sway bar is 1 1/8". What size should I go with for the rear?

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
In 1980 the Corvette didnt have a rear sway bar, Only early Big Block cars had them and it can be bolted on a 68 to 78, with a little work can be installed on a 80 to 82 but Vette Brakes sells a rear sway bar kit for your 1980 that is easy to install,
http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=909
Take a look.
David

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In 1980 the Corvette didnt have a rear sway bar, Only early Big Block cars had them and it can be bolted on a 68 to 78, with a little work can be installed on a 80 to 82 but Vette Brakes sells a rear sway bar kit for your 1980 that is easy to install,
http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=909
Take a look.
David
I think Ecklers has 3 different sizes available,but only big blocks came with them, I would think any of the three would probably fine
Thanks folks! I knew that it didn't come with them but GM did make it so you could put it on. I took a look underneath and could see the holes where it would mount. It appears that someone did have one on at one time because there are some snapped off bolts in the holes.

If I put this on, do you think it will make a difference?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought an Ecklers kit for my '77 with 1-1/8" front and 7/8" rear swaybars and urethane bushings. It bolted on front and rear with no problem. It made a big difference in handling and the car does not lean at all in turns.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought an Ecklers kit for my '77 with 1-1/8" front and 7/8" rear swaybars and urethane bushings. It bolted on front and rear with no problem. It made a big difference in handling and the car does not lean at all in turns.
Cool! Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

·
Smokin Vendor
41 Posts
Sway Bars

No smallblock C-2 or C-3 Corvette came from the factory with a rear swaybar. They didn't need it.

The factory fitted some of the C-2 and C-3 big block Corvettes ( i.e. the L-79 w/ the F-41 suspension with a rear sway bar ( believe it was 7/8". The reason was the weight of the iron headed big block resulted in increased plow and understeer compared wo the small block.

We do not recommend that you fit a rear swaybar to your small block C-3. The car might then oversteer more than you would find safe or manageable.

GULDSTRAND MOTORSPORTS (818) 558-1499

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a noob here but my 81 has the fe7 gymkhana suspension stock from the factory with 1 1/8" front sway bar and 7/16" rear. Spring rating is much higher than stock. Car rides like a tank but the twistys are a blast

·
Registered
46 Posts
As far as oversteer, I'm not seeing it. Mine goes into and comes out of tight curves like it is on rails. I up-sized the front and added a rear sway bar and what I found was the body roll was greatly reduced, the steering is more responsive going into a turn (or even changing lanes for that matter), but a somewhat rougher ride - hit a bump on the left side and more of it is transferred to the right side and vice-versa. The only time I have run into understeer and oversteer problems is experimenting with toe and caster adjustments. I have the toe set at 1/8" in and the car tracks and turns great.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
No smallblock C-2 or C-3 Corvette came from the factory with a rear swaybar. They didn't need it.

The factory fitted some of the C-2 and C-3 big block Corvettes ( i.e. the L-79 w/ the F-41 suspension with a rear sway bar ( believe it was 7/8". The reason was the weight of the iron headed big block resulted in increased plow and understeer compared wo the small block.

We do not recommend that you fit a rear swaybar to your small block C-3. The car might then oversteer more than you would find safe or manageable.

GULDSTRAND MOTORSPORTS (818) 558-1499
I disagree, I think you will find it helps keep the car flat in hard turns.but it might roughen the ride a little

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I disagree, I think you will find it helps keep the car flat in hard turns.but it might roughen the ride a little
Well I finally placed the order. Once it is on, I'll let you know how it works. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 1978 4spd L82 (small block) matching numbers. The both have the Gymkhana suspension (verified original) . That came with a larger front sway bar and a rear sway bar.

on another note, Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a 1971 small block vs big block chassis?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts