Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I installed my new right rear spindle I decided to convert it to oil bearings. Before I installed the inner bearing I filled the hub with 60 weight engine oil then installed the inner bearing and seal. Then I made a tool that allowed me to put even more oil into the hub while the trailing arm and hub assembly hung down at a 15 degree angle. Then I filled my left spindle hub with oil. I estimate they each hold about 10 tablespoons of oil or about 5 ounces. To prevent pressure from pushing the seals out I drilled a .020" hole thru the tops of the inner seals. I'm did this as an experiment only but if it doesn't present any problems I'll leave them like this.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After I installed my new right rear spindle I decided to convert it to oil bearings. Before I installed the inner bearing I filled the hub with 60 weight engine oil then installed the inner bearing and seal. Then I made a tool that allowed me to put even more oil into the hub while the trailing arm and hub assembly hung down at a 15 degree angle. Then I filled my left spindle hub with oil. I estimate they each hold about 10 tablespoons of oil or about 5 ounces. To prevent pressure from pushing the seals out I drilled a .020" hole thru the tops of the inner seals. I'm did this as an experiment only but if it doesn't present any problems I'll leave them like this.

I may have the only C3 in the world that has oil bearings. I used a 4" piece of ordinary 1-1/4" pipe with 2 notches milled into the end of it to put the oil into the hub by removing the flange first then holding the pipe against the face of the inner bearing.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have the only C3 in the world that has oil bearings. I used a 4" piece of ordinary 1-1/4" pipe with 2 notches milled into the end of it to put the oil into the hub by removing the flange first then holding the pipe against the face of the inner bearing.
So I guess nobody is interested in converting to oil bearings? As I couldn't see any reason why they wouldn't work I decided to try it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts