Chevy Corvette Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
10,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my big block '71 to Fresno on Wednesday (90 mile round trip) then tried to start it on Thursday morning. It started right up but then it died about 15 seconds later. I noticed the smell of raw gasoline so I popped the hood and took my air cleaner off and saw the air cleaner element was saturated with gasoline. I cranked it over and it instantly exploded in flames because when it flooded and soaked the element it had also completely filled the huge cavity under the runners of my RPM Air Gap manifold.

These RPM Air Gap manifolds have a major design fault as they'll hold about 1-1/2 quarts of any liquid that gets on them and in my case that liquid was gasoline! It turned out the reason it flooded was because the hollow plastic float had filled with gasoline; making it real heavy and raising the gasoline level so high it flooded over into my air cleaner and intake manifold.

The fire destroyed my TV cable and also burned my nylon oil pressure gauge line in two so I lost about 5 quarts of oil under my car without my knowing about it. I am very thankful this didn't happen while I was driving it because the entire car would have certainly burned to the ground.

In Holley's website only two floats are now listed; a brass float that will work with any fuel and a "Nytrophyl" float that is for gasoline use only. As I had several spare Holleys I found two of them had Nytrophyl floats so I installed them this morning.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
so it was more the fault of the plastic floats .. luckily, you were able to extinguish the fire immediately ..otherwise, you would have a big pile of burnt fibreglas ...Toobroke, I swear, you have the worst luck of anybody I know.. did a Gypsy put a freakin curse on your azz?

· Registered
5,591 Posts
Holy Crap !
At least the car is ok

· Registered
10,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so it was more the fault of the plastic floats .. luckily, you were able to extinguish the fire immediately ..otherwise, you would have a big pile of burnt fibreglas ...Toobroke, I swear, you have the worst luck of anybody I know.. did a Gypsy put a freakin curse on your azz?

Yeah, it was the plastic float that caused it and the Air Gap manifold just made it worse.............

· Registered
5,591 Posts
Great a cyberstalker , lilgreenbooger.....I'm sure you will get a warm welcome.

· Registered
910 Posts
That is some scaryshit. I had a float fill with gas once but it was the float in a carb. Not a big deal like this. Someone up there likes you! :Angel_anim:

· Registered
5,591 Posts

· Registered
5,591 Posts
stalker

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.