Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Stock ls2 hp limit??

Anyone have an idea??

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
400HP/400ft-lbs. That's as much as it was designed to make. Now, if you put the qualifier "for how long?" in there, you can make almost 800 rwhp for a little while before it goes. There isnt much of a hard set limit, just an inversely proportional relationship between durability and power.

·
Registered
286 Posts
400HP/400ft-lbs. That's as much as it was designed to make. Now, if you put the qualifier "for how long?" in there, you can make almost 800 rwhp for a little while before it goes. There isnt much of a hard set limit, just an inversely proportional relationship between durability and power.
Pretty much on the money reply, as usual.

From what others have done if you keep it under 600 rwhp you are pretty much good to go. Obviously a TON of factors are involved such as how hard you drive the car and how good the tune is. But as Powerlabs said, as soon as you modify something, you're living on borrowed time.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good points! I'll definitely be building the heads... stainless valves and springs.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
new springs are good, but if you're headed toward 800 RWHP, your stock bottom end will be living on borrowed time if you are routinely using all of its power.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new springs are good, but if you're headed toward 800 RWHP, your stock bottom end will be living on borrowed time if you are routinely using all of its power.
I originally was going to go Meth, but after weighing the pros and cons, decided on doing a forged bottom end as well.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'd still get the Meth kit.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really thought about it and did more research and sought lots more opinions on the issue... Afterwards, I dediced to go with the forged bottom end. There's typically more oil consumption, but I can live with it.

I don't do any long drives just yet, but when I'm ready to, I won't have to worry about refilling.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I really thought about it and did more research and sought lots more opinions on the issue... Afterwards, I dediced to go with the forged bottom end. There's typically more oil consumption, but I can live with it.
Yup. More oil consumption, less fuel economy since you will typically drop the compression ratio a bit to be able to run more boost, and it is a bit of a hit or miss kind of thing since even good engine builders mess up once in a while. Also pretty expensive. But it should be a lot more reliable. I've got a forged 365 under the hood now and that's what I observed. Makes 700RWHP though.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup. More oil consumption, less fuel economy since you will typically drop the compression ratio a bit to be able to run more boost, and it is a bit of a hit or miss kind of thing since even good engine builders mess up once in a while. Also pretty expensive. But it should be a lot more reliable. I've got a forged 365 under the hood now and that's what I observed. Makes 700RWHP though.
Reliabiltiy is my main concern. I'm only usually home for short periods at a time, and I don't want to experience down-time and or spend my vacations in shops.

Did you experience any decrease of torque on the low-end? Was thinking about going with 3:73'S if that's the case.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll have to check it out.. thanks. :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Meth is a PITA if you drive your car long distances. I have a 2 gallon tank in my trunk and I can chug it down in under 1000 miles of driving.
Is that a 1000 miles of normal driving or 1000 miles of PL driving the **** out of the car?

:coffeetime:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Is that a 1000 miles of normal driving or 1000 miles of PL driving the **** out of the car?

heh, I was wondering the same thing. Seems kinda crappy if it's just driving around or cruising, but not so bad if it is "spirited" driving.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Lets put it this way: It doesn't start spraying untill 4PSI boost, and doesn't reach maximum flow until 14PSI boost (redline). So, yeah, you have to get on it pretty good to use the meth.
But even I can only drive so hard on the street. I could understand if this was track usage, but its "normal" usage for me. It goes too fast, IMHO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a ls2 and I'm putting down 446rwhp 412tq on a stock bottom end and done so for about 3 yrs. A stock bottom end can handle up to 500 to 550rwhp

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How much power are you putting out now?
I'm putting out around 500whp, but am planning Spring/Summer upgrades. So far I have on my plate:

Forged bottom end
Spec clutch rated to handle 1500hp
Aeromotive fuel pump - will handle 1000FI hp (want to get away from BAP's)

First I'm going to have the shop figure out why my #'s are so low. I should be seeing 545-600whp.

I'm now debating on which heads I should go with. With the forged bottom end, I might as well go to 700whp. I doubt if the stock heads would support that kind of hp, and if they do,...it wouldn't be long before failure.

I've been doing some research, and there are a number of shops/dealers that are selling stage III GM cast LS6 heads. They typically run between 1500.00-1800.00...less expensive than AFR's or TFS's...but do anyone here know how well they perform, and what kind of hp #'s they'll support?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts