Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with a very aggravating problem.
I have a rattle sound coming from under the car. It rattles at idle in park, reverse, neutral, and drive.
The rattle goes away when I press the gas. Here's the details:

2006 Corvette Z51
39,000 miles
6 Speed Automatic
Stock engine and transmission

I have replaced all three torque tube bearings, both rubber bushings, the plate that bolts to the torque converter, torque converter, and transmission fluid pump. I also took the car to a transmission shop and had the transmission disassembled and inspected, they found no problems.
Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions as what it could be?
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. The rattle goes away when I press the gas in park, reverse, neutral, or drive - moving or not moving, brake or no brake.
It doesn't matter what gear the gear selector is in, the rattle is there at idle and goes away when I press the gas.
To add some detail, when I'm in drive (but not pressing the gas) whether I'm pressing the brake or if I let off the brake and the car starts rolling, in both of those scenarios it rattles.
My idle is about 500 RPM
The rattle will go away at about 1,000 RPM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Problem Solved.

I had previously replaced the bearings and bushings in the torque tube, replaced the torque converter and the transmission fluid pump but still had the rattle at idle.

I have now replaced the entire torque tube assembly and the rattle is gone.

So, I don't know what the actual problem was...
perhaps the driveshaft in the torque tube was out of balance, or the rear bearing assembly was faulty, or where that assembly mounts in the rear of the torque tube. Guess it doesn't matter now, the problem is solved and I love my car again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts