Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a random question that I thought of this morning. How much drag or power does a C6 air conditioning system pull from the motor? You always hear about AC systems robbing power. How much exactly do you loose from running the AC?

·
Registered
433 Posts
usually not much, had a BMW that had an electric power steering and water pump, and it saved about 5-6 HP....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I never "feel" the differance when the A/C is running or not with my Z, I usually overide it and turn it off.
Unlike my DD a Miata, it feels as if someone attached an anchor to the car when ever I turn it on.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I never "feel" the differance when the A/C is running or not with my Z, I usually overide it and turn it off.
Unlike my DD a Miata, it feels as if someone attached an anchor to the car when ever I turn it on.
"it feels as if someone attached an anchor to the car when ever I turn it on" :smilielol5::smilielol5:

Regarding the OP. I don't know the exact but with these larger motors it doesn't effect them as much as smaller V6 or V4 motors as mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Compressor is disengaged at WOT...

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
I've heard that too. Now is that literally the pedal is floored or will it disengage when the pedal is for example 75% floored?
WOT is WOT 75% is not WOT.:wheelchair:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Decent power cars don't care. Lets just say it takes 5hp to power the compressor. With 436 hp, 5 hp is not much. With only 150, it is 3x as much.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The other factor that isn't often mentioned is that if you DON'T use the AC, you end up opening the windows, and that creates a fair amount of drag. The vert guys will all tell you that when you put the top down, the mileage drops, too.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I can tell you that, for commercial and light industrial applications, it takes about 0.95 Kw of energy to produce 1 ton of cooling. :Banane08:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I've heard that too. Now is that literally the pedal is floored or will it disengage when the pedal is for example 75% floored?
It does not have to be floored. The A/C off parameter can be changed in the tune. There is an RPM trigger and a TPS trigger. IIRC, Factory was about 4000 rpm and 80% TPS.

The other factor that isn't often mentioned is that if you DON'T use the AC, you end up opening the windows, and that creates a fair amount of drag. The vert guys will all tell you that when you put the top down, the mileage drops, too.
True. At highway speeds the A/C uses the same or less power than having your windows open.

·
Registered
433 Posts
From what i've read that is true, but i often wondered why windows are down on drag race cars and even NASCAR. They arent worried about MPG, but that drag could slow acceleration and race times???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts