Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have a 1980 Corvette and i almost finished restoring and repairing everything,
still need one tip from you corvette experts :)
i want to install a push start button and i just need one thing
the color of the wires that are being attached together when you turn the key to start the car,
the second turn i mean that actually starts the engine not the power only.

forgive my english as it is my second language.

thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
10 gauge wires, purple, and yellow.

On a automatic car, the neutral safety switch is attached to the shift lever in the console. On a manual trans car, there is a switch at the upper end of the clutch pedal. Same color wires on both switches.

I would suggest NOT bypassing the safety feature(s), but installing your push button in the power side wire-that's the yellow wire per a 1980 diagram. The yellow wire is powered when the key is turned to "START", then power thru the safety switch to the starter solenoid. If you're trying to correct a problem with one of the switches, then disconnect the yellow wire at the safety switch, hook it to one side of your push button and then hook the other side of the button to a 12v source.
:burnout:

What is your purpose in installing a push button? are you trying to correct a problem?

I don't know if this is correct or not- just trying to help.
10 أسلاك قياس والأرجواني والأصفر.

على سيارة التلقائي ، ومحايدة سلامة التبديل هو تعلق على رافعة التحول في وحدة التحكم. على الخط عبر السيارة ، وهناك تبديل في نهاية العلوي من دواسة القابض. أسلاك نفس اللون على كل مفاتيح.

أود أن أقترح لا تجاوز ميزة السلامة (ق) ، ولكن تركيب زر دفع بك في الجانب السلطة سلك هذا السلك الأصفر في رسم تخطيطي لعام 1980. السلك الأصفر هو مدعوم عندما المفتاح هو تحول الى "ستارت" ، ثم السلطة عن طريق تبديل سلامة إلى بداية الملف اللولبي. إذا كنت تحاول تصحيح مشكلة مع أحد المفاتيح ، ثم قطع السلك الأصفر في التبديل السلامة ، وربط ذلك الى جانب واحد للضغط على زر بك ثم ربط الجانب الآخر من على الزر لمصدر 12v.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey TimAT,
im not correcting a problem.. i just wanted to add a button to start a car like the new sport version of corvettes,
so i was asking about the wires that should be switched or connected in orders to:

1. turn on power of the car (like the first turn of the original key).
2. start the car (like the second turn that actually start the car).

nothing fancy .. no proximity or wireless remote.
and i didnt want to go ahead and trust any diagrams because i found alot of diagrams of the 1980 corvette and the colors just differe between one another. and i love my vette :p dont want it to burn down :p
so i decided to ask you experts about the wire coloring of both steps.

thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
OK- I understand-

It sounds easier than it is- when you first turn the key "ON" the switch connects several different circuits to give you ignition power, radio power, accessories power.

The second turn to "Start" is the simple one- it connects the power at the ignition switch to the circuit that goes to the neutral or clutch safety switch. If that switch is closed, power flows to the starter solenoid.

Here is a link to a 1980 wiring diagram- I like to print these as big as possible and then use different color high-light pens to chase wires- I get less confused if primary power is red, secondary is yellow and so on..
http://www.nrjvette.com/johdotukset/Chevy Corvette 1980.pdf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Omg

OMG this diagram is very beautiful :p when i look at this i feel like im looking straight into Megan Foxx's eyes .. :woowoo:

thanksssssss man .

i`ll be posting what i do (with pictures i hope) very soon.

thanks again man , killer Diagrams :drool5:

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
OMG this diagram is very beautiful :p when i look at this i feel like im looking straight into Megan Foxx's eyes .. :woowoo:

thanksssssss man .

i`ll be posting what i do (with pictures i hope) very soon.

thanks again man , killer Diagrams :drool5:
Just a reminder, you will need to make ten post's before you can post any pictures. So go make some comments throughout the site. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Project almost canceled

the project is almost canceled
i figured out few things that sucked the cool out of the push start racing button ,
1- The steering wheel is locked until you turn the key. (This can be fixed by removing the lock but i just cant ruin my baby vette).
2- to install a push button you must also install a button that gives the car power so you can start it which is suppose to be the first key turn.
3- the car have to be turned off by another key i think because switching of the kill of switch that give the car power just doesnt turn the car off.

so im starting to think this need alot of thinking and work so it can turn out nice.

will be a little while till i continue this project.

cheers

·
Registered
540 Posts
i think you can just install a push button in-line to the 'trigger' wire to the solenoid-- you would still need to turn the key on to energize the system, the push button would be strictly to kick-out the bendix gear....the key would also turn off the entire system. but then again i might be a :stupid:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First Step

First step now i canceled the steering wheel lock.
i started diassembling the steering wheel until i reached something that looks like a gear, this gear have holes on it, and there is a metal pin or rod on the top left, when you turn off the car the pin is pushed out toward the gear with holes so when you try to move the wheel the pin will go thru one of the holes and it will stop the steering wheel from moving.
pictures attached.
i metled a piece of plastic with a soldir welder while the pin is pushed in (key turned on) to make it stick inside and never come out.
so now i dont have a lock on the steering wheel

now there is pictures attached.
and there are a picture of a quote from a manual about the ignition switch.

i really thought when you turn the key the first turn that gives the power to the car it is just connecting two wires and thats it.
and that the second key that cranks the car is also just connecting two wire to do that but it seems more than that, i really didnt understand that much but if you could explain to me what should be connected to:

a Toggle switch that will turn the power of the car ON.
a Push button to crank the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts