Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions for you hi tech motor heads! I want to build a 327, and I'm only looking for 300HP or so. What heads, cam, intake, carb and crank do I need for this? I also want to run pump gas so I guess the CR should stay below 9.5to1. I know some of you will ask, why a 327? It's just something I want! I'm just a "piddle" motor head and have only done one complete engine build with my brother-in-law and he will probably help me with this one too. I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks!!:thumbsup3:

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
you could save a bundle by keeping the 350 [which has more low end torque],rebuilding the bottom end with better compression pistons and buying a mild head/cam/manifold pkg....It would easily top 300hp and not break the bank

·
Registered
214 Posts
A 327 will require a new (or reconditioned) crankshaft and new pistons. IIRC, the main bearings are smaller, (unless you find a '68 327 crank) so a 327 block will be required. other than that, the build is about the same as a 350. 327 pistons and cranks are getting hard to find.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
A few questions for you hi tech motor heads! I want to build a 327, and I'm only looking for 300HP or so. What heads, cam, intake, carb and crank do I need for this? I also want to run pump gas so I guess the CR should stay below 9.5to1. I know some of you will ask, why a 327? It's just something I want! I'm just a "piddle" motor head and have only done one complete engine build with my brother-in-law and he will probably help me with this one too. I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks!!:thumbsup3:

The 300hp 327's were very common and the parts to build one are readily available. All you need is a set of 1.94"/1.5" heads, a 300hp 327" camshaft, and a 4-bbl carburetor that will flow 500 cfm.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts

If you find there's any substantial block or crankshaft damage you're much better off upgrading to a 350". Same block except with slightly larger main bearings and a slightly longer stroke. If you want to burn 87 octane you'll have to limit your compression ratio to 8-1/2 to 9 to 1 which means you'll have to use 76cc heads.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you could save a bundle by keeping the 350 [which has more low end torque],rebuilding the bottom end with better compression pistons and buying a mild head/cam/manifold pkg....It would easily top 300hp and not break the bank
Thanks fish and toobroke! When I put "pencil to paper" the 350 rebuild or crate seems like the way to go. Thanks again!!!:thumbsup3:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts