Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Power Steering troubles

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  toobroketoretire 
#1 ·
I was leaving a friend's driveway and due to a car parked across the street, had to turn full-throw to the right while exiting - no speed or crazy theatrics involved, just a nice slow turn. When I tried straightening the wheel to the neutral position, the power steering was gone. No leaks or ruptures to be found. We opened up the reservoir and it was dry for some reason. Refilled the reservoir, and still, no power steering.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I'm guessing I'm buying a new power steering pump?

#2 ·
did you bleed it by holding it at lock to lock both directions ?
How dry was it
when was the last time you checked the fluid level ?
Does it smell burnt ?

#4 ·
VetteX:
1. I don't think so. I did try full left to right with no difference, but if there's a better technique to this please let me know.
2. The reservoir was completely empty
3. Can't remember the last time I had checked it, probably >1 year, but I also had only driven it a few times in that span
4. No burning smell

#5 ·
I really doubt the pump got damaged because it was working right before it suddenly quit. As you say you turned it all the way to one side I would guess the relief valve got stuck in the open position. I would try turning it from lock to lock over and over again slowly and see if it starts working again. As the pump ran dry it certainly pumped air into the cylinder and that air must be purged out.

#6 ·
^^^^^

and look for leaks

#8 ·
I know this may sound pretty stupid but are you sure the belt is still on, is tight, and the pump is spinning?

Many years ago one of my "top" (wink wink) mechanics was dumbfounded when a generator wasn't charging and he asked me what I thought about it. In one quick glance I noticed the belt had broken so the generator wasn't even spinning (DUH).

#9 ·
Belt is fine.

I took it out this weekend and did some full-throw circles and figure-8s in a high school parking lot until I felt dizzy hahaha. It helped a little as the power steering definitely springs back to the neutral position now, but turning is still difficult. Getting the wheel over on a turn still requires as much force as before. I don't know if I was able to bleed some or most of the air out or not, but it's still not operating like before the turn that made it fail.

#10 ·
Your power steering ram may be shot. It has a cast iron piston ring inside of it and fluid may be leaking real bad past that ring. To test it apply air pressure to one of the ports on the ram and if it blows out the other port at a high rate the piston ring isn't sealing. The rebuilt rams are readily available and aren't very expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.