Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had my 79 350 engine rebuilt. During reassembly it was noticed that when the Alternator is installed, it covers up the cap for the Power Steering fluid dip stick. If I try to modify it ( ie larger pully) it causes additional problems. Has anyone encountered this issue before, and what did you do to fix it. OR, am I looking at bigger problems.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mine to is hard to get to but I'm able to pull out the dip stick from the side. I have to reach under the Alternator and pull it out toward the drivers side fender. That's the only way I can pull mine out.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Although it was not a 'Vette, I had a situation like that with a car that I had. Someone tried to put on a belt that was the wrong size for the engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yea, I had a similar problem when I was putting the rebuilt engine back in my '73. I put in a new (slightly shorter, I think) power steering belt. The dipstick is still difficult to remove around the altenator, but at least possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have just had my 79 350 engine rebuilt. During reassembly it was noticed that when the Alternator is installed, it covers up the cap for the Power Steering fluid dip stick. If I try to modify it ( ie larger pully) it causes additional problems. Has anyone encountered this issue before, and what did you do to fix it. OR, am I looking at bigger problems.
Every C3 that I have seen so far has this issue, so nothing to worry... just need to find a way how to do it and you'll be good! :) It is possible to open it and take it out just takes a few tries to figure out the right way... good luck!

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
On my '71 with a 454" I have to remove my dip stick from the passenger side because it's right under the alternator. No big deal really as it doesn't have to be checked very often..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Take the belt off and see if a loger belt will allow the alternator to swing up more, mine is fine just under the belt not the alternator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts