Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to rebushing the whole car here soon which Poly Bushing Kit should I get.

Some say the car will supension will start making noise after installing Poly bushing some say just grease them good.

Do I get the Bushings from PST that have
Graphite made in to them.

As long as I have it torn down Is better to go with some after market rear trailing arms.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
poly is good for racing but a bit punishing on the car and you for street use

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
poly is good for racing but a bit punishing on the car and you for street use
So should I just leave them alone then.

I think they are the stock ones from 25 years ago they work fine.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
if it ain't broke , why fix it ?
If you were going to put the car on the track , I would
but
for street , if they are good , I'd run em as is

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if it ain't broke , why fix it ?
If you were going to put the car on the track , I would
but
for street , if they are good , I'd run em as is
Col deal The reason I was thinking about changing them out my rear end cover leaking ol I was not sure If I have to pull the batwing to either tighen the cover back up or reseal the cover as long as I had it off might as well replace the bushings.

I same for the U joint and wheel bearing then once again why fix what not busted yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree not to fix something that isn't broke. However, your car is getting up there in age, and if the bushings have never been replaced, they are probably weathered, cracked and worn.
I just replaced all of mine last fall, and it can be quite a cumbersome job. Also, if you don't have a press to remove the old and install the new, anticipate taking your upper and lower A-arms to a shop that has the equipment to get them replaced. Doing all the rest for yourself will save you in labor.
I could be mistaken, but I don't think you can find NOS bushing kits for the C4s. Only Poly-eurethane is available. I did not mind, as this is what I wanted. If ride quality and comfort is important to you, the polys won't give you this.
I bought my kit at Ecklers.com, and I added a larger front sway bar while I was at it.
Good luck
Drive on!!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
my 86 still has good bushings at 226 k miles
are they like new , no
but the are not cracked or loose

you can find after market rubber bushing but you have to know the dimensions intimately
originally , the aluminum a-arms scared the manufacturers off for liability reasons

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Press at work I can use to press them out and back in.

As for getting them out others have said just put some heat to them and they come out easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts