Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
POLL - Is my ignition module bad???

I thought it would fun to post this Poll. I should know the answer to my problem early this afternoon. Thanks for participating.

Recently, I posted for help regarding my '75 sputtering and popping and driving all funky. I received some good advice on things to check. Everything I checked seems okay. I am at the last suggestion, that being the ignition module. I'm bringing it to Advance Auto Parts- they can test it.

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wrong about Advance being able to test the old module in the store. Apparently, a newbie helped me on the phone earlier and gave erroneous info.

With that said, I will install the module some time today and post the results tomorrow, so if anyone cares to participate in this "I haven't so much fun with my clothes on" poll, that will be cool. :woowoo:

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'75 sputtering and popping and driving all funky

Would this also include the engine dying when it was at operating temperature and then starting up again when it cooled down?
No, C3- the car starts up fine, and except for one time when it was hard to maintain an idle during warm up, the car idles okay while warming up. It has never stalled nor is it difficult to start- while it's hot or cold.

· Registered
210 Posts
ASE is the Automotive Society of Excellence and provides testing and certification to mechanics. Some test questions present a diagnostic situation and then list the answers with a mechanic A said this, mechanic B said that, both are correct and then neither are correct. Anyway, your diagnostic situation reminded me of having to prep for those dumb tests again. Sorry you didn't understand my silly comment.

Regarding the glove box, it was fairly common for the module to go bad and people used to buy a new one and put it in the glove box so they didn't get stranded. It was a little bit like death and taxes, hard to avoid. I carried them in my 73 Camaro, 72 SS Camaro, 70 Nova, 75 pickup. I even carry one in my Ford streetrod because it's got a 350 in it.

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ASE is the Automotive Society of Excellence and provides testing and certification to mechanics. Some test questions present a diagnostic situation and then list the answers with a mechanic A said this, mechanic B said that, both are correct and then neither are correct. Anyway, your diagnostic situation reminded me of having to prep for those dumb tests again. Sorry you didn't understand my silly comment.

Regarding the glove box, it was fairly common for the module to go bad and people used to buy a new one and put it in the glove box so they didn't get stranded. It was a little bit like death and taxes, hard to avoid. I carried them in my 73 Camaro, 72 SS Camaro, 70 Nova, 75 pickup. I even carry one in my Ford streetrod because it's got a 350 in it.
Oh, okay - I get it. I knew about the ASE being a certification standard (didn't know what it stood for until I looked it up) but didn't know about the mech A mech B thing. I have been riding Harleys since I was a kid and I know all too well about carrying spare stuff. lol

Thanks. :thumbsup3:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.