Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Easter Sunday I was driving my wonderful 1998 C5 and it started to run really rough, wouldn't idle, smelled like sulfur, and missed like crazy. I was freaking out(old 70's term). I did make it to my mechanic, left the car, and waited till Monday. Turns out it was a bad plug in the #2 hole. I can't believe that a bad plug made the engine run so freaking bad. I've had E3's in the car since 08-08 and it ran great till now. I checked on line and found other stories like mine involving that plug. Needless to say, they're coming out now. By the way, they're all a nice caramel color. My question is, what is a good plug for a Vette engine with 151,000 plus miles on it. The car still runs great and I wanna keep it that way.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
E3's are snake oil

·
Registered
779 Posts
Only NGK for mine!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I agree. And, since you are going to change them, index them, too.

www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/07/indexplugs/
we used to do that on race engines but unless you are stck with very old tech , it's not worth the time
and
I don't know anyone who does it on modern street cars
When you ran "points" in poor combustion chambers it made a big difference.

of course it sure won't hurt anything but a 1-2% gain ( according to the article ) just isn't in the cards on a modern engine

I wish it was !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got me some AC Iridium 41-110 plugs. They seem to work great. I wanna thank everyone for their input and advice. I need some stronger, smaller hands. Old #7 is a real pain in the butt.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Use a double swivel impact sparkplug socket
it makes it much easier

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Have you guys noticed any heat problems with some of these plugs? I've always leaned towards Bosch Platinums.

-Sean
heat problems ? huh ?

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Have you guys noticed any heat problems with some of these plugs? I've always leaned towards Bosch Platinums.

-Sean
are you talking about the plugs overheating and burning.. thats usually one of three things..lean fuel mix, over advanced timing for the octane or too high heat range of plug..not the brand name..

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I agree , you just don't see it much on gas motors

on methanol motors the can get toasty if you are too lean

the only plugs I've seen "burn" were out of a nitro car
they are toast at 1/2 track and "diesel" the rest of the run

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
exactly, the right range plug in a stock or mild engine will last a very, very, long time..regardless of brand. and for any racing application, well your motor won t last all that long anyway

1 - 16 of 16 Posts