Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got all plug wires replaced,fired up car still had the same miss. car ran for 30 seconds and starting back firing and died. battery lite came on just before car died but the miss is what is pissing me off. is it time for a new opti?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Do the paper clip scan and look for codes 16 and/or 36. If they show up your opti has retired. Just check the harness to the opti before you replace the opti, if the harness is good the opti is junk.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
finally got all plug wires replaced,fired up car still had the same miss. car ran for 30 seconds and starting back firing and died. battery lite came on just before car died but the miss is what is pissing me off. is it time for a new opti?

Are you sure you don't have any wires crossed?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Might be possible but how did you change wires without pulling waterpump off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rechecked wires and they are correct. recharged battery overnight and car started fine but after 30 seconds it revved up to 1500 rpms and died when i tried restarting i heard a small pop in the dash just behind the tach and it started and did the same thing again. this time i could smell gas and the battery lite came on so i didn't try again. I'll let the battery charge and check for codes later in the week

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
rechecked wires and they are correct. recharged battery overnight and car started fine but after 30 seconds it revved up to 1500 rpms and died when i tried restarting i heard a small pop in the dash just behind the tach and it started and did the same thing again. this time i could smell gas and the battery lite came on so i didn't try again. I'll let the battery charge and check for codes later in the week

Hmmmmm. You're saying after idling just fine for 30 seconds it suddenly revved up to 1500 rpm without you touching your gas pedal? From my 45 years of past experience an engine that suddenly revs up and dies has just run out of fuel. Because the mixture leans out and causes the sudden revving. Have you ever replaced the fuel filter that is located under the passenger's feet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts