Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone repainted the underside of thier hood? and if so what did you use? I was thinking low gloss high heat paint, but, want to get some opinions first. :coffeetime:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Before installing my hood mirrors we shot the of my hood with the exact same paint i used to shoot the rest of the car. I can't remember the name but it was the top of the line PPG paint in 2006.
My cousin helped me and pointed out that it needed to be a very low build-up so we cleaned the holy he!! out of it with everything we could think of. It was off the car and upside down while doing this. We found that there was a problem with pooling of the cleaners and regreesers around the frame so after sanding everything with 600 i built a jig to hold it on an engine stand almost verticaly. this let us attack with power cleaner outside and rinse with degreeser right before wheeling it inside to blow dry and prep wipe it. He shot it. But we didn't use any new primer. Just sanded the black enough to get a bite in it and wiped down with an adhesion promoter that 3M was starting to sell then. Very light on the color coat and very light on the clear after over thining gave a great match on my color and has held up very well so far.
hope this helps...but we went a little over-board on what you might get away with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Paint

You could do it easier just wash it w/soap and water, wipe it down w/prepsol, scuff pad and shoot with fisheye preventer in the color coat

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The variety and scope of prep options are the very difference you must decide on when choosing how (and what) you want your car to be when finished.
I wanted a car that was both a long lived week-end driver and show car. The extra steps will determine how long it will survive and live up to my goal of trophy fishing. I think the wall of trophies collected over 2 years prove i met my goal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it your way but w/50 years of boddy shop/painter experience I'm just telling everyone an easier way that will yeild almost the same results. Congrats on your many trophies

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I reread my last post...it was a little too short.

I was just saying that the way you mention is one end of the spectrum, and mine is at the other. There are actually many stages between both of ours and picking the one you want to use is not always easy, and shouldn't be decided on too lightly or you might not be happy with the end result or how much it costs you to do it...in cash, time, materials or elbow greese.
In the end i think you need to see the results (in person, NOT in pics or on computer land) of how each stage of prep comes out to decide which fits your personal expectations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone repainted the underside of thier hood? and if so what did you use? I was thinking low gloss high heat paint, but, want to get some opinions first. :coffeetime:
Degrease & wash with mild car wash soap, rince, sand with 400 grit wet & dry sand paper. I used Duplicor Flat Black ( 3-4 light coats ) make sure to tape off any thing you do not want over spray on !!! Took me a long day do do the underside of the hood. (3-4) hours just setting in the sun drying before actuly painting.. Looks like factory new. :)>)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I need to do this project soon...I don't like the faded look. I'm planning to do a quick wash, possibly with dish washing soap. A light sand, some 3-5 coats of high temp black paint(3 light 2 heavy) and then top it off with possibly 3 coats of clear coat. At least that' s what I plan to do lol. I'm even thinking of doing 2 teal hash marks in the center of the inner hood. I think it'll come out nice, something simple but nice.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
^ Awesome :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Looks great Mike.....you feel like comin to Ohio and doin' that to a red 87 coupe?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would love to do that! Where did you possibly find that cool set of mirror finished steel? please send me a message so I can find that $hit!! damn cool!! bc.boy:drool5:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts