Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine got up to 220 going behind slow traffic.. thought maybe the thermostat was stuck ??/ took it out and found it had already been gutted. Guess Ill put it back together and see if the water pump is working. Maybe radiator plugged ?/ Anyone ever have this problem?/ 1994 350 Stock as far as I know.. Thanks for any advice>>

· Registered
10,519 Posts
Engine got up to 220 going behind slow traffic.. thought maybe the thermostat was stuck ??/ took it out and found it had already been gutted. Guess Ill put it back together and see if the water pump is working. Maybe radiator plugged ?/ Anyone ever have this problem?/ 1994 350 Stock as far as I know.. Thanks for any advice>>

A temperature reading of 220 degrees is perfectly normal for the C4's because of their 2-tube radiators. And for quicker warm up I suggest putting a new 195 degree thermostat in.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been reading other forums and I am told that the high temp fan doesent come on till it gets to 235.. Crazy im putting it back together and flush it good.. then a new thermostat and new antifreeze and it should be good to go.. Has anyone used the 40 below stuff?/ does it make a difference or something to plug up the system? I am also installing a manual switch for the fans. i dont care what the book says I dont like getting it that hot.
Thanks for the Help

· Registered
2,849 Posts
I am told that the high temp fan doesn't come on till it gets to 235..
i dont care what the book says I dont like getting it that hot.
:SMILEY:

You are dealing with modern technology , not some old skool SBC beater you drove in high school that was in trouble if it went over 190 F
All you get from lower engine temps is more engine wear and less fuel economy
And don't even think about a lower temp stat because all that does is make the engine take longer to get up to temp ;
does nothing for the operating temp once the engine warmed up

· Registered
1,403 Posts
I have been reading other forums and I am told that the high temp fan doesent come on till it gets to 235.. Crazy im putting it back together and flush it good.. then a new thermostat and new antifreeze and it should be good to go.. Has anyone used the 40 below stuff?/ does it make a difference or something to plug up the system? I am also installing a manual switch for the fans. i dont care what the book says I dont like getting it that hot.
Thanks for the Help
You've probably already started, but just in case you haven't...

As always (well almost always) listen to the great n powerful OZ above (Vetteoz).

You sound new to vettes, and if so you'll soon find out that there will be plenty of blood, sweat and tears without inventing more. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Vettes are a pain to work on simply because everything's so tightly packed. Not to mention the many things that are different from most any other car you've worked on before.

That cooling system for instance is a reverse flow system, meaning that the coolant flows in from the top of the radiator and out the bottom of the engine. Which for one means that there can be no air in the system. There's a procedure for getting the air out of the system, which I haven't had to do so be sure and look that up. In your case, I think the only thing I would do is put a thermostat back in (the OEM one). As far as the pump goes, if it weren't working you'd already know. Plus with the C4's LT1, the opti spark seems to go out before the pump and because of the location, the pump gets changed when the opti does, so..... On the other hand, if the pump does go bad first, it leaks onto the opti and vala, the opti gets changed with the pump....
See, blood sweat n tears, plenty to go around....:toilet:

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Thanks for the Help
if you read the label, it requires straight water with it for best results.. forget it, just use a 50/50 mix and you will be fine.

· Registered
402 Posts
That article gives some part #'s to change what the fans come on at. Putting in a lower temp thermostat by it self will not do it. Yes you can put in a switch to turn them on sooner, but sometimes is more a nuisance than a plus. Also, if you put in too low of a thermostat (165*) the thermostat stays open & the cooling system may not be able to keep it cooled to that temp & the temp might overheat because the thermostat won't close & give the radiator a chance to cool the coolant down. So if you run a lower tstat & it starts running hotter, go back up to the 195 or 180 tstat. Not all vehicles will run hotter with the lower tstat, don't get me wrong. But there are circumstances that can cause this to happen.

Toby

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.