Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was told when installing my new opti spark it would fit only one way, and when installed properly the timing would be set. Here is my concern, another vette owner buddy stated that "yes the opti go on only one way (but!!!) this does not insure that the timing will be correct." Car currently starts right up cold or hot, throttle response is good, it doesn't miss or pop. Can anyone clarify this?? Thks in advance for your help..

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
If done properly, The timing on the opti-spark can't be lost. Take your time and do it softly, when placing the opti-spark in not making love to a woman!!! :rofl: :rofl: The opti spark will only go in one way correctly. I would imagine the only way timing would jump is if the timing chain is stretched and it jumps a tooth.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The timing on an opti spark system is controled entirely by the computer and if there is a problem it will throw a code.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Opti only fits one way due to the slot in the rear that mates to the notch on the camshaft.This is why you gotta be gentle and not force it on.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
:thumbsup3:
Correctly being the operative word.
What people do (and don't realize it), is that they slightly tilt the Opti during install. When they do this, the top two mounting points are flush against the timing cover
and they think the Opti is installed correctly.
They can't see the third mounting point very well and the Opti will feel like it's seated correctly. Then they put in the three bolts and tighten them down.
Very true :thumbsup3: Why I kept the old opti spark backing plate and used that as a guide to see where the tooth would go in properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts