Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Is the engine newly rebuilt ? If not, I would go to synthetic. 10W30.. Amsoil, Mobil One EP etc.. if its new , break it in first for a couple thousand miles with 10W30 DELO or any other 10W30 conventional oil containing zinc or add a ZDDP additive to any conventional oil for cam break-in ..

·
Registered
991 Posts
Age Old Debate

What have been using all along?

Some folks say syn oil in a not new engine could cause it to start leaking when it never leaked before. Who knows if that's true, but it sounds feasible. Here in FL (as are you) I use conventional 10w30 or 10w40 in my 350 crate motor. I pay more attention to the quality of the filter.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
What have been using all along?

Some folks say syn oil in a not new engine could cause it to start leaking when it never leaked before. Who knows if that's true, but it sounds feasible. Here in FL (as are you) I use conventional 10w30 or 10w40 in my 350 crate motor. I pay more attention to the quality of the filter.
Well it's not true.:doh:

·
Registered
72 Posts
without opening a can of worms, on older motors there is a concern that current day oils dont have the ZDDP - zinc levels needed to properly prevent engine wear. Some of the synths do have levels of ZDDP that are acceptable eg. mobile one , Amsoil etc. If I recall correctly + 1200 or more is a safe amount.

·
Registered
77 Posts
without opening a can of worms, on older motors there is a concern that current day oils dont have the ZDDP - zinc levels needed to properly prevent engine wear. Some of the synths do have levels of ZDDP that are acceptable eg. mobile one , Amsoil etc. If I recall correctly + 1200 or more is a safe amount.
Yes, 1200 ppm is considered good for non roller engines. I've been using Rotella 15w 40 in my vette which has 1200 ppm. I just called the Shell contact number, and the rep assured me that the zddp level is still the same.

Valvoline VR1 also has high levels of zp. I believe they have conventional, and synthetic. It is pretty salty compared to Rotella, so I opt for the Rotella.

There are other oils something like classic car oil 15 40, but I am suspicious it is diesel oil with a different label (and much more expensive), but I could be wrong.

You could also by conventional, or synthetic, and put a zddp additive to bring up the zddp to adequate levels. There are several brands like Lucus, but I can't remember the other brands, but most parts stores carry it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts