Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 50 years ago I made my oil system priming tool out of an old iron 283" distributor. I removed the gear and shaft, ground the teeth off its gear, then cut the housing off 1/2" above the top of the clamp-down flange. Then I reinstalled the gear and shaft then cut the shaft off 7/8" above the top of the shortened housing. I used a hex die to cut 1/2" NF threads onto the shaft, installed a 1/2" sae flat washer, then screwed a 1/2" NF high nut (with red LocTite) onto the shaft and pinned it with a 3/16" roll pin. I use my 12-amp 1/2" Milwaukee electric drill and 12-point 3/4" u-joint socket to spin it.

Note: There are generic priming tools available that won't work on Chevrolet V8 engines unless they have the upper large diameter and the lower large diameter with the deep groove around its circumference. That deep groove in the lower large diameter channels oil into the right side lifter bore passage. Without that lower large diameter and groove you'll never get oil pressure because the oil will pour down the side of the housing and into the oil pan.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts