Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
78 corvette, new oil pump, timing chain, reads 40 lbs oil pressure, when on the hwy i do about 50 mile and pressure goes up to about 70. is this ,ok

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i mean to say when driving the car at 50 or 55 oil pressure climbs up to 70 but water temp stays at 190

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
78 corvette, new oil pump, timing chain, reads 40 lbs oil pressure, when on the hwy i do about 50 mile and pressure goes up to about 70. is this ,ok

A lot of people think they somehow "need" a high volume/high pressure oil pump for their street driven car. But in reality a high volume/high pressure pump only creates headaches as the oil consumption goes up because of excess oil being thrown onto the cylinder walls. It's always best to use a stock pump for street engines.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
stock motor doesn t need a high volume pump, but, since you already appear to have one, don t worry about it...its fine at 70psi at speed, what oil are you running, should be 10w30, don t use 20w50

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
stock motor doesn t need a high volume pump, but, since you already appear to have one, don t worry about it...its fine at 70psi at speed, what oil are you running, should be 10w30, don t use 20w50

Most people don't think a high pressure/high volume pump will cause any problems. But the increased amount of oil being slung off the crankshaft will overload the ring's ability to scrape it off the cylinder walls. So the engine will consume more oil. So "bigger" isn't always better.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
that could be true, on a high mileage motor.. but I ve built a bunch w/ HV pumps ,over the years and never had any oil consumption problems. They typically run 65-80 psi at speed. You know my nephews 76, I built that motor in 1981, a 355/425 HP, high volume pump, ..he just recently turned 250,000 miles on it..it uses about 1/2 qt to 7,000miles oil change. hes only replaced the plugs and wires once at 125,000.......Oh, I forgot to mention, I did put a 5speed in it too. so, you can see the benefit of reduction gearing extending engine life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts