Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the Oil Level sensor on a 1990 L98 Convertible. The oil pressure and oil temp gauges are normal as well as the dip stick. I got a printout from the local Chevy Dealer. It showed it on the oil pan close to the drain plug. Not finding it there I noticed the printout said L5 at the top. Went back to the dealer and asked for a printout for the L98. I was told it shows it in the same place. I only discovered this because I needed to remove the center console to fix the after market radio, only to find the Check Engine, ABS, and Low Oil lights had been removed. I cleared the Check Engine Light and moved on to the Low Oil Light. I looked all over the Net and can't find a picture or a video of it's location. I guess I could do what they did, but that wouldn't be fixing the problem. I'll hope someone who has changed the sensor on their C4 L98 can tell me where to find it. I'll continue to look at the ABS problem in the mean time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Auto part Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Engine Vehicle Auto part Pipe Engine Fuel line Not where it should be, oil pan is smooth no ridges, Drain plug in the rear not on the side, Sensor above Oil filter has 3 wires, Sensor on the passenger side has 1 blue wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking for the Oil Level sensor on a 1990 L98 Convertible. The oil pressure and oil temp gauges are normal as well as the dip stick. I got a printout from the local Chevy Dealer. It showed it on the oil pan close to the drain plug. Not finding it there I noticed the printout said L5 at the top. Went back to the dealer and asked for a printout for the L98. I was told it shows it in the same place. I only discovered this because I needed to remove the center console to fix the after market radio, only to find the Check Engine, ABS, and Low Oil lights had been removed. I cleared the Check Engine Light and moved on to the Low Oil Light. I looked all over the Net and can't find a picture or a video of it's location. I guess I could do what they did, but that wouldn't be fixing the problem. I'll hope someone who has changed the sensor on their C4 L98 can tell me where to find it. I'll continue to look at the ABS problem in the mean time.
Had to replace my pump, motor and computer module. All were rusted. Looked like it was driven thru water at some point. I dropped the plastic pan under the car which has the ABS pump and module mounted to it. Removed the lines and sent it to Corvette Salvage in Mississippi to be rebuilt. The computer is accessible from the little storage compartment behind the drivers seat, got another one from Ebay. The outer most screw is a real challenge to remove, but can be done. Sucked out all the fluid I could with a Turkey baster and bled all the wheels calipers. I bled the system like a normal car. The light went out and I now have ABS. I also have the infamous air bag light on. I removed both impact sensors removed any rust and applied dialectic grease under them. This was GM's answer for 1990's C4's. Figured out someone clipped the wires to the airbag in the steering column. Fixed that and discovered the right side impact sensor was bad. Turns out 1990 used a different sensor then 89 or 91. The company that made them for GM in the Philippines quit making them. So I bought one for a 91 and added a resistor out side to come up with 10k ohms like the 90 checks for. The lights still on, so pulled the computer module for it under the radio. Sent it out to Airbag Systems to have any hard codes cleared. Still have the light. Looks like the sensor will have to be for a 90.
Good luck with your ABS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts