Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has or had a problem with the oil dip stick being under the power brake booster diaphragm. When i check my oil it is very hard to get the dip stick out and back in because of where it is located......Can anyone tell me if i can curve the dip stick tube towards the front of the car so it can be easier to get at. I have heard of different tube's and dip sticks but not sure where or which ones to purchase.... any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what you mean by truning it.?...........You mean turn the tube? It is not flexable. And no I have not purchased the flexable tube as yet.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Not sure what you mean by truning it.?...........You mean turn the tube? It is not flexable. And no I have not purchased the flexable tube as yet.

The dipstick tube merely pushes into the block about 2" so you can easily turn it a few degrees.

When did the dipstick tube get moved to the passenger side? Does anyone know? It's on the right side of both of my big-blocks and also my '82.....................

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
its on drivers side of your 82? my 81s L48 original motor is on passenger side.. my stroker is newer, 1 piece rear seal, block and it is on passenger as well. I thought they changed when they started painting the engines blue instead of orange.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
its on drivers side of your 82? my 81s L48 original motor is on passenger side.. my stroker is newer, 1 piece rear seal, block and it is on passenger as well. I thought they changed when they started painting the engines blue instead of orange.

My '82 has a blue engine and it's dipstick is on the passenger side (that's the right side, isn't it?) What color is your '81 engine?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried turning it but it did not change the position. My engine is blue and I have seen blue engines at car shows 79, 81, and the dipstick was on the right side. I am at a loss as to why they (designers, engineers) who ever makes the desisions to place the dipstick on the right or left side Would ever put it on the left side in such a bad place to get at. Just doesn't make any cents to me. thx TooBroke and Padgett for the tip....I am just going to put on a flexable tube...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
power disc brakes

probably because cars didn t have power brakes back in the early days, so the booster wasn t in the way
Your probably right Fish but since my car came from the factory with power disc brakes the brains in designing should have for seen the problem........Just my way of thinking, of course the designers don't worry about little things like this......They probably don't even check their own oil............but have some one else do it for them. They wouldn't want to get there hands dirty..........lol

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Passenger Side Dip Sticks

Your probably right Fish but since my car came from the factory with power disc brakes the brains in designing should have for seen the problem........Just my way of thinking, of course the designers don't worry about little things like this......They probably don't even check their own oil............but have some one else do it for them. They wouldn't want to get there hands dirty..........lol

As it takes a LOT of money in re-tooling costs to "simply" move the dip stick over to the passenger side they waited until things started getting really cramped. So it appears the '82's were the first year of the small blocks using the right side (the big blocks always used the right side).

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
I'm kinda surprised G.M. didn't simply add a hole on the other side then plug the unused one. They held out on removing the fuel pump mounting for a long time though. Long after they started using in-tank electric pumps.

The machine shop I visit every week still gets an occasional pre-58 block with no side mounts and were building an old 409 the last time I was there. And recently they had two of the monster 572's in their shop. The 572 blocks are similar to the 400" small blocks as they have the center two cylinders siamesed (no cooling between the center two cylinders). And the 4-1/2" bore blocks are real shiny; looking more like cast steel than cast iron. And the heads have ENORMOUS valves.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
had a buddy back in the 70 s...we built a 409 with two 4 bbls on a tunnel ram for his 63 split window... boy that car would haul azz. if we knew then what a 63 split would be worth one day , we would have left it stock, wrapped it in plastic and stored it til now.. I saw one go for $300,000 on Barret Jackson

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Changine Times

had a buddy back in the 70 s...we built a 409 with two 4 bbls on a tunnel ram for his 63 split window... boy that car would haul azz. if we knew then what a 63 split would be worth one day , we would have left it stock, wrapped it in plastic and stored it til now.. I saw one go for $300,000 on Barret Jackson

It's funny how times change. Back when the 409's came out nobody even had a hint the engines would grow to 454" by 1970. Now days an engine with "only" 409 cubic inches is just a mid-size engine................

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lawrence ... My 77 is on the drivers side too, but sticks up high enough to not be a problem .. I dont know if its aftermarket, but if it is, finding one shouldnt be a problem.
I just checked .. Ecklers has the tube for $10 and 20 inch dip stick for $18

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tried to turn the tube that was in there(it was an after market chrome one some one had put in before i got the car) It did not help so i had to install a flex tube/dip stick and now i can get at it real easy. .. Thx to all for the help

1 - 20 of 23 Posts