Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Supercharged C6 LS2 with a heavy duty radiator and an intercooler in front of the radiator. My oil temp on the road will run up to 230 but on the track I will get up to 260. I want to install an aftermarket oil cooler but have limited space because of the intercooler. I can fit a small oil cooler infront of the radiator above the intercooler but this area has limited air flow. A second choice would be to install the cooler infront of one half of the intercooler but that would reduce the benifit of the intercooler. The third choice would be to install a cooler or coolers behind the fog light but that would require serious modifications.

Does anyone have any expierence with any of these options or suggestions for an alternative option? If I put in a Mocal 235-16 which is 13" wide,wide, 4 3/4" high and 2: thick any idea of what oil temp. improvement I could expect?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you use a cooler, make sure it has a thermosat otherwise your oil will be too cool in colder weather.

You could mount a cooler with an electrc fan. That way you would not need to be in the air stream. If you do this you may not need a tstat, just an on / off switch for the fan.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Do a search for mounting a transmission cooler. Some of the A6 guys do not put their tranny coolers in front of the radiator. That should give you some ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did plan to put in a tstat. I checked with Racer Parts Wholesale and they have a "Mocal Thermostat for GM LS Engines" that they recommended. They claim that it was designed to be installed in the oil sending unit fitting and that allows you to continue to use the existing oil filter mounting.
Thanks for the idea of checking for posts on the tranny coolers, I will do that. I did consider the fan idea and that still may be a possability but then the whole assembly gets larger and where to locate it is an issue.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
One other thought is to give ECS, who is a sponsor here, a call. The Z51 has the factory oil cooler and I think they leave installed as part of their kit. Those guys do lots of installs and could give you ideas and maybe help with parts too. :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You can also get a radiator with an oil cooler built into it. The coolant cools the oil in this case, whereas an external cooler, the air cools the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts