Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to change my oil....I currently have plain old motor oil in my 84. My intention was to use this as a sort of flush for a 1000 miles or so, and then change to Royal Purple and a K&N filter. I overheard a conversation teh otehr day where one guy told another you have to "flush" after dumping regular oil or the Synthetics will foam up. Is this trueor a lot of BS?? If so, what do I use for this??

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
its bullshirt! Synthetics are completely compatible with conventional oils. and your motor will thank you by giving you many more trouble free miles.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Its time to change my oil....I currently have plain old motor oil in my 84. My intention was to use this as a sort of flush for a 1000 miles or so, and then change to Royal Purple and a K&N filter. I overheard a conversation teh otehr day where one guy told another you have to "flush" after dumping regular oil or the Synthetics will foam up. Is this trueor a lot of BS?? If so, what do I use for this??

What you heard was an example of a blind man leading another blind man. Just a bunch of BS being spouted off by someone who doesn't know anything about motor oils. All of the synthetics are completely compatible with the previous "dino" oils. About the only time you would ever have to "flush" an engine would be if the engine had been run on cheap non-detergent oil for a long time before changing over to a synthetic. Because of it's superior cleaning abilities the synthetic would loosen the gunked-up deposits and possibly plug the screen pick-up or oil filter. But as the majority of oils are detergent you have to look pretty hard to even find non-detergent oils.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
others have reported experiencing the slightly higher temps with Royal Purple also.. I use only Mobil One Extended Performance in my cars..Amsoil is also good. but any synthetic is superior to conventional oil..the foaming story is pure myth.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I know many high end drag racing teams will not use RP due to bearing failures

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the information. Glad to hear the foam is a myth. Didnt sound right since a blend is available between synthetic and regular oil. Has anyone else heard about problems with Royal Purple??? Maybe i need to take it back and get Mobile 1.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
My friend would always use mobil 1. One oil change we did royal purple. That night we threw a connecting rod through the motor.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you want to "flush" it, go to advance or which ever and pick up a can of seafoam. You put 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the crank case (oil), and 1/3 into a vacume line. Drive out a tank of gas and that should do it fine....

As far as which oil to use, unless you're going to a synthetic I've always heard that it was important to use the same oil in a motor. Which ever brand it is. Not that I put much stock in it but GM uses moble 1 (5w 30) in vettes....

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
BTW, If the oil looks thick and gunky coming out of the drain, I pore a half a gallon or so of diesel into the oil spout while the drain plug is still out, to wash any crap and old oil out. I let it set with the oil plug out and the drain pan in place for 10 to 20 minutes. Then finish as usual...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here is a new rumor to throw in the pile. I asked the same question about changing oils and the mechanic told me. You have over 100K miles. Changing to a synthetic will just cause you leaks now.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Here is a new rumor to throw in the pile. I asked the same question about changing oils and the mechanic told me. You have over 100K miles. Changing to a synthetic will just cause you leaks now.
I've heard that one too. A friend of mine has a 96 Impala SS with 120k. He refuses to go to a synthetic because he was told that it will cause his seals to shrink..... Oh well......

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Some myths will never die.......

speaking of oil.....I like using oil on my woman's naughty bits !...but it's certainly NOT SYNTHETIC.......

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
oil , grease , whatever :woowoo:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Astro-glide !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts