Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a interesting discussion a friend this morning about Octane boosters and running 87 octane fuel. I'm not a huge believer on octane boosters, but my friend brought a point that had me wondering. If you were to put 87 octane fuel in your Vette and a bottle of octane booster, would that have enough punch to bring your entire tank up to at least 91/92 Octane? Now I was telling my friend best case scenario you fill an entire tank with 16 gallons of 87 octane, there might be a savings of .30 cents per gallon from higher octane fuel. This would equal roughly $4.30 difference per tank, can you even buy a bottle of effective octane booster for that amount?

Personally I don't see this working, but I thought I would post the question either way to see what others had to say about it.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Had a interesting discussion a friend this morning about Octane boosters and running 87 octane fuel. I'm not a huge believer on octane boosters, but my friend brought a point that had me wondering. If you were to put 87 octane fuel in your Vette and a bottle of octane booster, would that have enough punch to bring your entire tank up to at least 91/92 Octane? Now I was telling my friend best case scenario you fill an entire tank with 16 gallons of 87 octane, there might be a savings of .30 cents per gallon from higher octane fuel. This would equal roughly $4.30 difference per tank, can you even buy a bottle of effective octane booster for that amount?

Personally I don't see this working, but I thought I would post the question either way to see what others had to say about it.
A good octane booster is around $10 per bottle, and for that you may be able to get your tankfull of 87 up close to 89, maybe 90 octane.
So, no, it wouldn't be effective.

You can learn more about octane boosters here:
http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0503ec_octane_boosters_tested/index.html

·
Registered
310 Posts
I used that NOS (I think that is what it was called) octane booster for a few weeks last year and didn't notice much out of it. Then again there could have been gains, but they weren't noticeable.

·
Registered
270 Posts

That could get pretty pricey quickly!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I used that NOS (I think that is what it was called) octane booster for a few weeks last year and didn't notice much out of it. Then again there could have been gains, but they weren't noticeable.
Unless your car is tuned to use higher octane there will never be any gains from running a higher octane than specified by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Better off getting a 5 gallon of 100 octane racing fuel and mixing that into your tank.
Where do you even find that? I can't imagine that is something that is "mailed" to you? :food-smiley-019:

Is there a way to have 2 tunes on a car? One for track and one for daily driving?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Where do you even find that? I can't imagine that is something that is "mailed" to you? :food-smiley-019:

Is there a way to have 2 tunes on a car? One for track and one for daily driving?
At a race track. Usually for $6 to $13/gal depending on the fuel and the track.

You can have an infinite number of tunes on a laptop and flash them onto your ECU as needed, but the flashing takes about a minute so it gets to be a PIA unless you are doing it for racing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
At a race track. Usually for $6 to $13/gal depending on the fuel and the track.

You can have an infinite number of tunes on a laptop and flash them onto your ECU as needed, but the flashing takes about a minute so it gets to be a PIA unless you are doing it for racing.
OK, but then after the track as the fuel get's used up and it's time for normal pump gas, in this example you would have to flash the computer back to normal tune? Is there any risk of loss of data from the continuous back and forth flashing of the computer?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
OK, but then after the track as the fuel get's used up and it's time for normal pump gas, in this example you would have to flash the computer back to normal tune? Is there any risk of loss of data from the continuous back and forth flashing of the computer?
You'd want to flash it back to your pump gas tune before you gas up again, of course, unless you want to see how good your pistons are at withstanding detonation...
There is a small chance of data corruption when you flash the ECU, but it is rare, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Unless your car is tuned to use higher octane there will never be any gains from running a higher octane than specified by the manufacturer.
Will burn a tad cleaner though, so could this be used every so often to clean the internals. But HP gains, nah.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts

The 100 octane he s probably refering to is available in my area at specific gas stations. However, the last time i saw it was $5.95 a gallon

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I used to mix Toluene with gas to increase the octane. Years ago it was only 5 bucks a gallon. I'm sure its more now. That's how Sunoco got their Ultra 94, they added toluene to the mix. :duel:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Will burn a tad cleaner though, so could this be used every so often to clean the internals. But HP gains, nah.
:iagree: true but you will get better internal cleaning power for better price with specific additives than spending the $$ on high octane.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts