Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The restoration of my 73 continues. Runs GREAT now, but getting "whine" from rear until she shifts into second. 400 hydro automatic. Had rear end lub changed, added xtra bottle of antislip, did about 20 figure 8's.
Still there, what's next.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
if you can t tell for sure where its coming from going down the road , lift the rear wheels, and find the source of the noise for sure.. differentials usually whine as speed increases, either under load or while coasting, depending on whats failing.. regardless of gear the car is in ...did your diff. oil have a metallic sheen to it when you changed it ? is the front seal leaking? ............My Dodge Ram diff. just went out last week, sounded like a lion roaring back there.. pinion bearings

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read it you should not run a73 with the rear wheels off the ground? Ones not make noise during slow down. With exhaust I have, it may be I just can't hear it after it shifts.
How r things in New Iberia, I changed jobs and don't come down any more

· Registered
10,507 Posts
It's okay to spin the rear wheels when they're hanging but not for a long time nor at a fast speed. The reason is the side yokes are retained with ordinary snap rings and it's only those snap rings that are preventing the yokes from pulling clear out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.