Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 manual C5 with 66,000 miles has all of a sudden lost the reverse gear. All other gears shift fine without incident. I've found a few blurbs through a google search indicating that it might be a fuse issue related to a selenoid, but just wondering if it could be the first stage of more serious transmission issues. Any input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
when your trying to get in rev let clutch out just a little and see if it goes into gear and are you feeling any slipage

·
Registered
169 Posts
What do you mean by "lost reverse gear"? Will the shifter go into the reverse position? Does the shifter go into the reverse position but the car does not go backwards when the clutch is let out? Different symptoms, different causes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shifter will not enter into reverse, even after letting the clutch out slightly. There is no grinding sound, the gear shifter simply stops at the point I try to engage the reverse gear. There is no shifter play whatsoever into that gear, it will not budge and I don't want to use greater force and possibly cause more damage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Thanks for all the input! Luckily, the problem seems to have worked itself out. I allowed the car to drift a bit while moving the shifter into the reverse position and it went in. Seem to be working fine since. I've set an appointment to have the transmission checked also as a safe-guard.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You may have a dead spot on the mesh (there isn't a real syncro ring on reverse) from the occasional grinding. If you put the car in 1st and shut it off, then push the car back just a little (it wont let you go more than a few inches) it will take you to a different piece of the mesh (mesh is the naked syncro for reverse). You should have no problem shifting it softly into reverse. This will allow the drive/driven gears to mate. Problem solved. Bravo for not mashing it into gear. The amount of damage from that would be fairly extensive.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You may have a dead spot on the mesh (there isn't a real syncro ring on reverse) from the occasional grinding. If you put the car in 1st and shut it off, then push the car back just a little (it wont let you go more than a few inches) it will take you to a different piece of the mesh (mesh is the naked syncro for reverse). You should have no problem shifting it softly into reverse. This will allow the drive/driven gears to mate. Problem solved. Bravo for not mashing it into gear. The amount of damage from that would be fairly extensive.
Also wouldn't low fluid cause that ?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for all the input! Luckily, the problem seems to have worked itself out. I allowed the car to drift a bit while moving the shifter into the reverse position and it went in. Seem to be working fine since. I've set an appointment to have the transmission checked also as a safe-guard.
Don't forget the C5 has a reverse safety lock-out, maybe it's malfunctioning?

2002 C5 Owners Manual - Page 2-32

Your six-speed manual transmission has a feature that allows you to safely shift into REVERSE (R) while the vehicle is rolling (at less than 3 mph (5 km/h)).
You will be locked out if you try to shift into REVERSE (R) while your vehicle is moving faster

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't forget the C5 has a reverse safety lock-out, maybe it's malfunctioning?

2002 C5 Owners Manual - Page 2-32

Your six-speed manual transmission has a feature that allows you to safely shift into REVERSE (R) while the vehicle is rolling (at less than 3 mph (5 km/h)).
You will be locked out if you try to shift into REVERSE (R) while your vehicle is moving faster
Didn't even think about that.:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yur a god damn beauty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts