Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have always admired Corvette's rep for style and performance, but never had a chance to tinker with their performance. Now, an 84 has fallen into my lap. Not sure if it is a blessing or a curse. Pros... 69k miles, one owner. Cons... parked (outside) for last 15 years or so. Completely ruined asthetically, inside and out, (apparently had bad water leak to interior). So far I have replaced the injectors and it now runs... somewhat. Wondering if I should forget about restoring and go straight for "let's gut her and make a drag car". Any testimonials from both aspects would be appreciated.

· Super Moderator
5,586 Posts
Welcome to smokinvette. Your question about the '84 is a difficult question for me because I love them all. But that one would be my least favorite. That year vette probably has the least value of any year. Restored you will never see your money back. So you may want to go with the drag car idea.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
curse !

:welcometoourcl

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for responding

What little experience I have with the 84's was mostly poor engine management system. Is the remainder of the drivetrain strong enough for say 400 horse. Not looking for any crystal ball, just thinking I my have found a home for an ol stroker hid in the garage.

· Registered
26 Posts
I had an 84 for about a year it was fun I averaged 25 mpg but I want winning any races it handled very well in corners Ipushedit hard I drove it from arArkansas to ohio and west Virginia many times plugs 8.8 mil wires distributor msd coil cleaned out gas tank. .. very easy by the way. .... ran smooth strong motor. .. or just pure luck ipopped lower radiator hose ran it out of water in northern pa it sat 299°for about and hour. .. dead of winter. ...while still driving slow it day almost 20 miles replaces hose motor still good. Parts for the car are crazy high for what your working on I traded in on 01 ...love it

· Registered
5,591 Posts
my 84 story
I rented one in 84 and then raced in an autocross after flogging it up in the Santa Cruz mountains for a day and a half.
I had a ball

but
compared to newer models , my current C4 is a turd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.