Chevy Corvette Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
I had my top come off on the freeway at 70 mph. Believe me you'll lose a couple years and gain a load in your pants!! If you hear what sounds like a window is cracked open pull over at once and take the top off until you can get to the dealer. I heard a whistle, looked at the passenger window and before I could look at the drivers side I heard a horendeous noise!! I was then looking at the sky. It was fortunate the fiberglass skin didn't hit another car or that I didn't lose control of the car! The dealer did the repair (installed new skin on old frame).The recall had just came out but I had not recieved the recall notice when it came off. All I can think of now that there's another recall for the same thing is will mine have to be repaired again and if not will mine be safe at say 100+mph? I can't imagine what kind of damage would be caused at that speed. Good luck with the dealers and be safe!
I was at the dealer last week with my sons car (not a vette) and they had an '06 vette in the back that the top came off on the driver doing 80 down the interstate. He said that the guy had no warning what so ever, one second it was there, the next second...not so much. Gotta admit, if this happened to me they would have to replace the drivers seat as well because I don't think the ensuing stain could be removed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Finally recieved my recall notice today -April 24. I was at the dealer last week picking up a clutch spring and asked about the top recall and they told me the notices were coming soon. It says the time to repair is between 1hr 40 min to 2 hr. 25min. Looks like I'll have to find a ride home......it'll be there all day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had mine done about a month ago. It came back just fine. I got excellent service from the service dept. at local dealership. Now tight no rattles, pops or squeeks. I went 140 no looseness or anything. I am happy!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Top Issues

I went to the dealer with mine over a month ago. The General paid for a new top for me. It is tight. No squeeks, rattles or pop's. Held tight at 140.:479:

·
Registered
91 Posts
New Top

I had a call from the Dealer where I purchased my car from, reguarding my replacement top. It came in , but needs to be painted by the Dealer. I was bummed out because I prefer the Factory painting. Anybody else had similar situations? Did your replacement top come in already painted????:wtf:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a recall notice from GM on 4/27/2010. The notice instructed me to make an appointment with my dealer to inspect my 05 C6 top. I called Gunn Chevolet
in San Antonio,Tx and got an appointment for 4/29/2010. Gunn inspected my top
and afterward told me that my needed to be replaced and that they needed to order it. today I received an email from gunn letting me know that my new to was in and I could pick it up

·
Registered
44 Posts
I checked with my local GM dealer and called GM as well regarding my 06. Both said since it was repaired for the first recall, it wasn't eligible for the new top. This is contrary to what I'm reading from Talon. Any other recourse to get a new top?

·
Registered
91 Posts
?

I checked with my local GM dealer and called GM as well regarding my 06. Both said since it was repaired for the first recall, it wasn't eligible for the new top. This is contrary to what I'm reading from Talon. Any other recourse to get a new top?
My 06 was repaired on the first recall also. I just had it replaced on this recall. Grumble to the highest manager you can find.... I think you're getting the run around. My dealer told me that the replacement costs GM $1700.00 per car...Good Luck !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Roof recall

Had the roof replaced on my wife's 06 Vette on the first recall a few months ago. She got a new top but still had the popping and cracking after...Dealer says it is the latches...Replaceing latches today...we'll see...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got my new top today

I received my official recall notice about two weeks ago and dropped by the dealer to see what the procedure would be. He said they needed to order a new top then paint it and transfer some of the hardware from the old top to the new one. Anyway they called yesterday to tell me the new top was in and already painted so I took my car to the dealer on the way home from work. They called my early this morning to tell me the job was done and I could pick up the car anytime. I actually got my wife to drive me to the dealer at about 8:00 this morning and I gave the car a quick look and took off for work. I plan to give the paint job a very close inspection over the next couple of days, but at first glance it looks pretty darned good. The good news is that all the cracking and popping noises are gone!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Top recall

Wife's top was replaced, new top, old latches...this week replaced all the latches after several months of listening to the popping and snapping crap noises...Guess what...no more noise. So...when they replace the top they need to replace latches as well...I had to pay for the latches...but they will hear about it...Edd

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 06 vette was repaired last time and i got a notice in the mail and now have a new top, nice because i had a spot on mine and now its new!!! Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Todays paper said GM is recalling 22,000 Corvettes for the top delamination problem.2005-2007.
GM said the first recall didn't solve the problem and I am curious as to what this second recall will entail,New top or what. Anybody else hear what Their plan is going to be?:thumbsup3::thumbsup3:
Thought it was done the last time (but I didn't own my '05 C6 Cpe then.) This time They replaced the top and painted it (black) to match. Great job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah they did a great job on matching the (black) paint on the top. However, now the new top is making some intermitten cracking noises that it did NOT make before I took it in for the last re-call. Should I call 'em and bring it back about the noise or try to lube it or??

·
Registered
6 Posts
New Top Recall?

Latest re-issue - May 18, 2010 says to replace all "painted" top panels within certain vin. groups. Have your dealer check to see if your car is included. There are a new design latches available for pop noises-time will tell if its a permanent fix.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I guess I should call my Dealer, but does anyone know if there is a "time-limit" on this or not? Back in May I took my car to the dealer, they checked it out and said they would be replacing the roof and would call me when it came in. Then I broke my leg and havent been able to drive the car since. I'm still unsure when I'll be able to drive again, so I'm wondering if I might have to get someone else to take my car into the dealership or not????

·
Registered
3 Posts
roof issue

Just got off phone with dealer. They go by VIN and if was repaired during last recall, it WONT be replaced this time.
Had 2 hairline cracks on pass. side of glass top. Never dropped....stress fractures maybe from securing in hatch area or just latching it back on...anyway took to dealer this week and was covered 100%. New roof.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts