Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Todays paper said GM is recalling 22,000 Corvettes for the top delamination problem.2005-2007.
GM said the first recall didn't solve the problem and I am curious as to what this second recall will entail,New top or what. Anybody else hear what Their plan is going to be?:thumbsup3::thumbsup3:

·
Registered
977 Posts
I was just getting ready to post this:

Last Updated: December 28. 2009 3:00PM
GM issues 2nd recall for Corvette roofs
David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau
Washington -- General Motors Co. said Monday it is recalling 22,000 Chevrolet Corvettes over concerns that the roof may fly off the vehicle -- after a 2006 recall didn't fix the problem.

The new recall applies to 2005-2007 model year Corvettes and Corvette Z06 models.

GM told the National Highway Traffic Safety administration that the adhesive between the roof panel and frame may separate. GM will install a redesigned roof panel as a result.

Advertisement
"If there is a partial separation, the driver may notice one or more symptoms, such as a snapping noise when driving over bumps, wind noise, poor roof panel fit, roof panel movement/bounce when a door or hatch is closed, or a water leak," GM said.

This is the second attempt by GM to fix the problem.

In May 2006, GM told NHTSA that it was recalling 30,793 2005-2006 Corvettes over concerns that the vehicles, "primarily in hot and humid climates, have a condition in which the adhesive between the roof panel and the frame may separate."

GM said the problem was due to inadequate bonding strength, following reports of at least 11 roof separations. GM's 2006 fix was to insert adhesive foam -- and, if necessary, replacement of the roof.

In March, an inquiry from Japan's Ministry of Land Infrastructure and Transport about a Corvette roof that was repaired after the 2006 recall prompted GM to look at its U.S. warranty claims data for Corvettes.

As a result, GM found 108 claims of roof separation after the foam was added in the attempt to fix the problem.

Now, GM will replace the roofs.

The automaker will begin notifying owners in January and will reimburse motorists who have already gotten their roofs repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Thanks Gerry, was gonna take mine again today for the heater acting up so I will ask them about this and hopefully an answer and will let you know.

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
Here's my "Readers Digest" version. I can certainly provide more detail if anyone is truly interested. In this recall, GM is acknowledging that the "foam fix" which was an injection of adhesive foam between the painted panel and the frame applied to early roof separation issues was not a completely effective repair of the condition and some of the repaired panels had gone on to separate again.

My understanding is that this will target the folks who had the first bulletin performed and the foam fix injected but did not actually get a replacement panel. This recall will now provide them with a replacement panel.

Paul :cheers:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Here's my "Readers Digest" version. I can certainly provide more detail if anyone is truly interested. In this recall, GM is acknowledging that the "foam fix" which was an injection of adhesive foam between the painted panel and the frame applied to early roof separation issues was not a completely effective repair of the condition and some of the repaired panels had gone on to separate again.

My understanding is that this will target the folks who had the first bulletin performed and the foam fix injected but did not actually get a replacement panel. This recall will now provide them with a replacement panel.

For a short version I say you did a good job as always :)

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Just came back from the dealer and was told that if I heard any noises from the top then I need to bring it in. Talon90 is always full of usefull info and do not doubt him at all.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the info Paul.
I wonder how long it will take to get all this done. I want a new panel.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just got off phone with dealer. They go by VIN and if was repaired during last recall, it WONT be replaced this time.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just got off phone with dealer. They go by VIN and if was repaired during last recall, it WONT be replaced this time.
Doesn't make sense what dealer told you.. if the glue stuff is failing why no top?
I think there is a lot of misinfo on this whole thing?
How many times has a dealer told us a Bullsh*t story. I worked at GM dealer and they in service lied all the time!
Wish they would keep this post up for awhile?:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I remember when Olds diesels had all the problems blowing up and people would ask if they were having problems with Diesels. Service guy says NO, there good. Next to wall were 6 or seven diesel blocks for warranty.:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
Your dealer is misinformed or perhaps simply under-informed and making the rest up to fill in the blanks in their understanding (happens, a lot.).

This recall targets SPECIFICALLY roof panels that were repaired with the foam during the last recall and TSB series. Now, if a roof panel was replaced under the last bulletin or recall, that is a different story and no, it will not be affected by this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, my 2006 Z06 was "repaired" during the first recall even though the roof is bolted in. The service writer said that my roof was just under the specifications. Hmmm, I wonder if I should be concerned, especially when I picked up my car and found a broken roof bolt on the floor when I got home, Hmmm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Painted?

If I understand this correctly this is only for painted tops not the glass tops. Is that what everyone else is hearing?

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
If I understand this correctly this is only for painted tops not the glass tops. Is that what everyone else is hearing?
Painted only. That is confirmed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
definitly not right.. I took it to a chevy dealer to get checked out and i also called GM and had them run my VIN number. They said it was attempted in 2008 to be fixed by the 1st owner I told them i obviously have a problem with it now and that i took it to a specific garage. They asked for the name and information and they opened a claim gave me a claim number. a day later i get a call telling me it will be covered and the remedy they took on mine was ordering an entire new top that obviously involved it being painted as well.

all in all....not one cent out of my pocket :sm_party:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just got a call from GM. They informed me, the 1st owners had a SOLID top. But I bought the car with a GLASS top, from a Chevy dealer. She asked if I had problems with it, told her it creaks and is Spider Webbed Cracked, she apologized and said if I wanted, I could take it to a dealer, ave them look at it and the could report any problems to them. But it would be all OUT OF POCKET expense. Other then that, there was nothing GM could or would do. She also said they have not informed any one of a Recall as of yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New Top Recall

I had my top come off on the freeway at 70 mph. Believe me you'll lose a couple years and gain a load in your pants!! If you hear what sounds like a window is cracked open pull over at once and take the top off until you can get to the dealer. I heard a whistle, looked at the passenger window and before I could look at the drivers side I heard a horendeous noise!! I was then looking at the sky. It was fortunate the fiberglass skin didn't hit another car or that I didn't lose control of the car! The dealer did the repair (installed new skin on old frame).The recall had just came out but I had not recieved the recall notice when it came off. All I can think of now that there's another recall for the same thing is will mine have to be repaired again and if not will mine be safe at say 100+mph? I can't imagine what kind of damage would be caused at that speed. Good luck with the dealers and be safe!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I took my Vette in last week to service to see if the recall came, they said there is nothing for my car. And they told me that it was only for Coupes with the removable roof, and NOT for Z06's.. I can't believe the recall hasn't come out yet, its now February. That dealer was probably just full of crap.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts