Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiho-

Northeastern newbie here. Not new to corvettes but haven't owned one in quite a while. As far as I
can remember, have owned 8 or 9 of them in total. Mostly earlier - a few '69s (one was an orig L88 but
had been altered), a '63 roadster, '66 coupe (both in awful shape when I got them in my 20s and did crude
resto-mods), a '70 350/300 that was a nice car, an '84 that was also a nice car, and a new '87 that turned out to be buggy (VATS was awful) and maybe even jinxed and a '69 ex-scca race car that I drove around the street for a while and sold around 1989 . I went on to mid0engined Kits abd have 2 mantas but over
the years, I picked up a lot of used parts in decent shape and want to use them. Have a complete 377
and a bare Rodeck "Pontiac/Chevy" 400 sbc bare block and a complete set of heads and intake but no
crank/piston assembly. And a DN 5 speed. Would love to use this stuff while I can still move under my own power (8. I've always liked the '80-'82 bodies - and my question (in the wrong forum) is this: If I come across an '82 -will my DN 5 speed rest on the cross member without any changes? HAve always wondered
if there was a tech reason for not offering a manual trans that year. My '84 and '87 both had 4+3s and I
never had a bit of trouble but aparently I was lucky as those transmissions seem to be on the "avoid this" list. . . . thoughts?

Hope the holidays are off to great start!!
thanks- bill

·
Super Moderator
5,990 Posts
Welcome to Smokinvette Bill. can't help you with your tranny Question. Not sure if The Crossmember on the "82 is removeable. I did auto to 4-speed swap on my '75. The '75 had a removeable crossmember which made the install alot easier. You maybe able to have a tranny mount made that would adapt your 5 speed to it. I had a doug Nash in my '86 vette and lost the overdrive gear in it

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Smokinvette Bill. can't help you with your tranny Question. Not sure if The Crossmember on the "82 is removeable. I did auto to 4-speed swap on my '75. The '75 had a removeable crossmember which made the install alot easier. You maybe able to have a tranny mount made that would adapt your 5 speed to it. I had a doug Nash in my '86 vette and lost the overdrive gear in it

Kevin
Thanks, Kevin. I don't mind doing a little fabrication but was hoping for a project I could finish within a year and have something interesting to drive in nice weather. Currently. am doing a V8 Manta Montage (has a long way to go- how do you insert an in-line photo?) and have a small machine shop (or at least most of one) and actually like the work, although at some point, a project needs to be finished. Sorry to read about your overdrive gear. What did you do after it went out?

thanks,
Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,990 Posts
I just drove it as a 4-speed. For inserting pictures. When you reply to a thread or start one just scroll down to a box that's says " manage attachments ". Click on it and it should open a box where you can add a photo from your computer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.