Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, This is my first post, and I look forward to meeting everyone, and learning more about my NEW (well, new to me) first Vette. It just arrived this evening, and it's a 1995 Indy 500 Pace Car. I really haven't had time, nor daylight to totally check it out. I don't want to sound negative, but I can't get the trunk open. I pressed the trunk release in the center console, it made the appropriate noise, but nothing happened. I tried 4 or 5 times, same thing, made the noise, but the trunk didn't open. I didn't want to break anything, so I gave it up to wait for tomorrow with better lighting conditions. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Breezie
Breezie

·
Registered
836 Posts
New !

Hello, This is my first post, and I look forward to meeting everyone, and learning more about my NEW (well, new to me) first Vette. It just arrived this evening, and it's a 1995 Indy 500 Pace Car. I really haven't had time, nor daylight to totally check it out. I don't want to sound negative, but I can't get the trunk open. I pressed the trunk release in the center console, it made the appropriate noise, but nothing happened. I tried 4 or 5 times, same thing, made the noise, but the trunk didn't open. I didn't want to break anything, so I gave it up to wait for tomorrow with better lighting conditions. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Breezie
UR Kiddin ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UR Kiddin ?
Nope. I've waited 60 yrs. to get my first Vette, it arrives and the very first thing I did was try to open the trunk to get the manual and other items that was shipped with the car from the dealership. Is there a safety lock that I don't know about?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Try pushing down on it right above the latch with one firm push to relatch it then push the latch release again with a firm push on the button. My 85 also has a trunk release on the driver door lip area, if your 95 has that also try that switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all, thanks to everyone who replied. I tried all you suggested, but none worked. I received an email from a friend of mine, and he said,' There is NO trunk in the 1995 C4 Convertibles.' Okay, now I am confused. Maybe I should ask everyone here: Is there a trunk lid that has the ability to open to reveal an small area that resembles a trunk on a 1995 C4 Corvette convertible? It's Day 1 of owning this beautiful Vette, and I'm somewhat disgusted. Thanks in advance for your help. Breezie

·
Registered
799 Posts
Is this true? I have an 85 and had an 84 years ago and neither required that the e brake be set to open the hatch.
I have an 86 and I'm almost positive the E-brake needs to be engaged. I remember I dropped a friend off once, they had some stuff in the back and I went to open the hatch and it wouldn't open, I thought to myself "**** something else is wrong." Later that day the car was parked with the E-brake on and sure enough it opened. I remember thinking, "Some ******* must've opened the hatch while cruising down the road and GM had to idiot proof it."

·
Registered
130 Posts
Check your owners manual if you have one, it may have the separate convert operating supplement.

To open the "trunk" : This is for a 90 but should apply.

loosen the velcro strips (flaps) inside @ the rear of each side window opening.

Move the driver seat back forward, realease handle is located, back of seat, top center.

The release handle for the back of the top is located below the lid, drivers side near the left side of the lid.

Pull the handle to release the rear of the top.

Fold the top up & forward & hold it up, use the other hand to operate the slide switch on the rear of the door jam to pop the lid open.

You may want to cut a prop to hold the top out of the way to load-unload the storage area.

Congrats on your new ride.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have an 86 and I'm almost positive the E-brake needs to be engaged. I remember I dropped a friend off once, they had some stuff in the back and I went to open the hatch and it wouldn't open, I thought to myself "**** something else is wrong." Later that day the car was parked with the E-brake on and sure enough it opened. I remember thinking, "Some ******* must've opened the hatch while cruising down the road and GM had to idiot proof it."
My '95 does not need the e-brake on to pop the rear hatch. I rarely use the e-brake because it doesn't like to release....oh, yea....another project ....

·
Registered
700 Posts
Make sure the E-brake is engaged, it will not open of the E-brake is not on.
Seabee is your Vette a manual? That is the only reason I can think of needing the E-brake set, I have an 87 and it doesn't require it to be set mine is an auto but the hatch won't release if the car is running and in gear

·
Registered
799 Posts
...mine is an auto but the hatch won't release if the car is running and in gear
Exactly. Like I said, I could be wrong its happened before, but I'm pretty sure the E-brake must be engaged with the car running. :abduct: Yes it is a manual and I do not think it opens while in gear. I'll double check when I get my car running.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Exactly. Like I said, I could be wrong its happened before, but I'm pretty sure the E-brake must be engaged with the car running. :abduct: Yes it is a manual and I do not think it opens while in gear. I'll double check when I get my car running.
Mine releases just fine while running as long as it's in park

1 - 17 of 17 Posts