Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 LT-1.

I ordered a new one online, my old one's rubber was all cracked. From my factory unit to the new unit, the balance weights and backside drilled holes don't match up. Does anyone know what the LT-1's crank damper was balanced to or will a new unit have it's separate balance and still work fine with my motor?
Or will I have to get the new one balanced to what my old one is?

I'm asking before I bolt this sucker on.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
1992 LT-1.

I ordered a new one online, my old one's rubber was all cracked. From my factory unit to the new unit, the balance weights and backside drilled holes don't match up. Does anyone know what the LT-1's crank damper was balanced to or will a new unit have it's separate balance and still work fine with my motor?
Or will I have to get the new one balanced to what my old one is?

I'm asking before I bolt this sucker on.

Thank you in advance.

If it doesn't look the same as your old one I think you got the wrong one. I suggest calling your supplier and ask them which part number you should have. Be sure to tell them you have a 1992 LT-1.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep they sure look different:

Front shot(Original unit to the top, new unit to the bottom)

Back shot(Same order)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so, you got it on and running? Its a beautiful day for a cruise with the top off.
Just got done with breakfast, I should have it up and running by today :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
They look exactly the same to me. What's different about them?
There is a difference in holes drilled and filled. the LT-1 is internally balanced up front. the damper should be neutral balanced. the difference in the holes is probably due to variations in the density of the castings. use it!
IF IT HAS A BAD VIBRATION UP FRONT, CHANGE IT.

RACE ON!!!
JIM

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a difference in holes drilled and filled. the LT-1 is internally balanced up front. the damper should be neutral balanced. the difference in the holes is probably due to variations in the density of the castings. use it!
IF IT HAS A BAD VIBRATION UP FRONT, CHANGE IT.

RACE ON!!!
JIM
Think they all Neutral Balanced. Meaning they are TRUE. None with have same drilled holes. Thats the Balancing.
Thank you Gents, been driving it for 2 days now and all is smooth(Cept I still suspect a bad motor mount) :thumbsup3: NO MORE OIL LEAKS!!!! For now lol. This opti is working pretty awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts