Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The quadrijet that currently sits atop the 350 ci Chevy Smallblock in my '77 is a wreck. Linkages are zip-tied, I need to remove the air filter everytime I start it to play with the choke, the knobs to adjusted the richness are pretty much shot etc, etc.... So I've finally decided to cave and buy a new carb (well at least new to me, I'll settle for a refurb if the price is right). Just wondering what everyone else has out there on theirs; I'm looking for any suggestions from make/model down to best websites to buy from. My goal is to get a new carb that works (any boost in power would be great too) and get it installed soon before spring rolls around and I can start driving her again. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
584 Posts
jegs.com has a good price, go with Holly easy to adjust and rebuild (I my opinion) I have a 670 cfm carb. but 650cfm will do good

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
on a stock motor like you have, its hard to beat a good Quadrajet for all around performance and MPG..and theres no carb you can just bolt on that motor thats gonna give you much more horsepower..I would just replace it with a new Q-jet..unless you intend upgrading to a serious motor later. Jegs, Summit Racing have good prices..

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ditto
a 77 is a pretty choked down motor if it's stock

·
Registered
523 Posts
Fish is right on target- a Q-Jet is the easiest no hassle swap. And even a good rebuilt will be more trouble free than just about any other carb you can put on there.
Right after that, I'd have to say an Edelbrock Performer. There was on on the 77 when I got it. My 69 has a Demon (Barry Grant) on it, and once I figured out the tuning, it's been maintenance free too.

·
Registered
584 Posts
this is a very opinionated post its like asking whats better big blocks or small blocks
'Nugz 77 replace the Q-jet you will be happy(no mods)

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Fish is right on target- a Q-Jet is the easiest no hassle swap. And even a good rebuilt will be more trouble free than just about any other carb you can put on there.
Right after that, I'd have to say an Edelbrock Performer. There was on on the 77 when I got it. My 69 has a Demon (Barry Grant) on it, and once I figured out the tuning, it's been maintenance free too.
Demon is nice on hi-output engines...but my favorite is my Quickfuel..easy to dial in,unbelieveable responsiveness and power, and haven t had to touch it since..over 2 years now

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll agree with the Q-jet crowd. I still have the original in my '75, driven daily. Rebuild with a quality kit and they are really reliable. The only problem I had many years ago was using cheap floats, they will sink and the carb will run rich. Quality parts are worth the money. Good luck.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I guess the other question is do you plan future intake upgrades and what configuration you would go with if you have only the Q jet spread bore carb?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I went with the 600 cfm holley and adapter plate on my 350 with the oem cast iron intake. Easly handles 400 horse up to 5800 rpm. Plus it gives you more options if you ever want to go aluminum on the intake. Remember to big a carb kills velocity & bottom end.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
and that's what is nice about a properly adjusted quadrajet
small primaries for the bottom end and large secondaries for top end

it's been awhile since I've played with one but properly set up , they can work quite well

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I feel old
I used to know them pretty much inside and out
We race with Holley's or Barry Grants now and my vettes have injection

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I feel old
I used to know them pretty much inside and out
We race with Holley's or Barry Grants now and my vettes have injection
you re not the only one feeling old..when I stop to think about it..I bought my first Corvette 38 years ago!..built my first motor 40 years ago! Now, I m depressed!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input guys, it's looking like I might just roll with the consensus and stick with a q-jet. To clarify my situation further, the engine is the 350 ci small block...I have no intention of ever changing it out...due to price and the fact that this is my first car I've ever worked on and an engine changeout is a pretty substantial endeavor. I'm still learning a lot as I go along, and all your input really helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
holley street avenger?

Will a Holley Street Avenger fit on a 350 chevy small block? I have a friend who is looking to get rid of one, but I don't even know if it would work/fit on my engine.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
The avenger line is a standard 4 bore type carb.. it wont fit your manifold unless you use a spreadbore adapter. its a good carb, but more than you need for a stock motor ..the Q-jet will perform better..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Will a Holley Street Avenger fit on a 350 chevy small block? I have a friend who is looking to get rid of one, but I don't even know if it would work/fit on my engine.
I changed my intake to a Edelbrock preformer the Holley the 670 cfm (overkill for the stock motor but already had it ...)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts