Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a new Corvette purchase right around the corner, one final question today is regarding proper break in procedures for these cars. Can someone help me out with what is recommended?

:smilielol5: Yes I'm looking for the Cliff note version of what I'm sure would be a novel in a owners manual. :smilielol5::smilielol5: I'll be too excited to sit down and read a manual!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
No hard acceleration or braking in the first 500 miles. Also, vary your speed(don't go at one speed for a long time) for the first 500 miles.

After 500, you're good to go. :thumbsup: :burnout:
Also, you should accelerate and decelerate in each gear to wear in the mating surfaces a little. The break in period is primarily for the drive train beyond the engine because the engine is supposedly broken in within minutes of its initial start-up because of the molybdenum coating on the rings (unless that has been changed since I got my '06).

·
Registered
246 Posts
As suggested 500 miles should put you in that sweet spot before can :burnout: :sm_party:

·
Smokin Member
1,825 Posts
Now is it recommended to change out the diff fluid during XXX amount of miles? Or are people doing that as needed?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I matted mine with about 100 miles on it. I probably mashed it to the floor about 10 times within that first 500 miles. My LS3 now has 20,000 miles with no problems at all. I am not making any suggestions, just giving you facts.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've read the manual and the forums and don't agree.
Take it slow and easy for the first 500 and then change the oil and filter.
Take it easy for the next 500 and then gradually bring your rev's, throttle and braking up. Do not max the throttle or rev's.
Given the quantity of metal I found in the oil and on my magnetic pan plug on my first 2 changes at 500 and 1500, I wouldn't do it any other way.
Some might call this obsessive, I call it being careful and showing self control.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
No hard acceleration or braking in the first 500 miles. Also, vary your speed(don't go at one speed for a long time) for the first 500 miles.

After 500, you're good to go. :thumbsup: :burnout:
Yep, that's the ticket. The engine is already broken in all that it needs. What you are worried about is the rear gear set and the brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Now is it recommended to change out the diff fluid during XXX amount of miles? Or are people doing that as needed?
Unless something is wrong, change fluids per the owner's manual.:cheers::burnout:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I've read the manual and the forums and don't agree.
Take it slow and easy for the first 500 and then change the oil and filter.
Take it easy for the next 500 and then gradually bring your rev's, throttle and braking up. Do not max the throttle or rev's.
Given the quantity of metal I found in the oil and on my magnetic pan plug on my first 2 changes at 500 and 1500, I wouldn't do it any other way.
Some might call this obsessive, I call it being careful and showing self control.
Bottom line = Your car, your money and if you choose to believe something other than what the engineers who built the car have said, that is your choice, too.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Bottom line = Your car, your money and if you choose to believe something other than what the engineers who built the car have said, that is your choice, too.
:goodpost::burnout:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Very true, and well said. I'm definitely old school on maintaining all of my stuff and break in. A few extra oil changes (less than $30, doing it myself) and some careful driving during break in makes me feel better.
Further, if you read the owners manuals of most cars the "normal driving conditions" that suggest longer maintenance intervals do not really exist in real life, unless you drive your car in a vacuum. All cars are subject to "extreme" conditions and should be maintained and broken in accordingly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Very true, and well said. I'm definitely old school on maintaining all of my stuff and break in. A few extra oil changes (less than $30, doing it myself) and some careful driving during break in makes me feel better.
Further, if you read the owners manuals of most cars the "normal driving conditions" that suggest longer maintenance intervals do not really exist in real life, unless you drive your car in a vacuum. All cars are subject to "extreme" conditions and should be maintained and broken in accordingly.
:iagree: I don't know a single driver that drives these cars like manual suggest or considers "normal driving". ha ha ha

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I was just talking to a engine builder today about new engine. He said 500 miles and then the gloves are off.
Was that just an engine builder or was that a Corvette engine builder?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts