Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i need a new cam for my 454 1972 engine, and Im completely lost... There are hydraulic ones solid flat tappet ones?? COMP cams is what JEGS recomend me.. my garage recomends the Standard one... but what do you tech guys recomend??? If I can get a bit more of power im always happy.. If its not worth it etc.. just let me know...

This is what my garage ask me to order:

Gasket set for oval port heads.
TIMING CHAIN (while we are at it)
TIMING COVER GASKET
CRANK OIL SEAL (IN TIMING COVER)
SET OF HYDROLIC TAPPETS
CAM SHAFT...

This is what JEGS recomend me.

The following is a list of part numbers I would recommend for your 454 Chevy engine,

249-CL11-242-3 Comp Cams Cam & Lifter Set
249-911-16 Comp Cams Valve Springs
249-2110 Timing Set
720-4405 Cam Change gasket set for oval port heads.

Thanks in Advance...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
you need to define what you want as far as drivability and power requirements.
I can't imagine putting a stock spec cam back in.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Hi, i need a new cam for my 454 1972 engine, and Im completely lost... There are hydraulic ones solid flat tappet ones?? COMP cams is what JEGS recomend me.. my garage recomends the Standard one... but what do you tech guys recomend??? If I can get a bit more of power im always happy.. If its not worth it etc.. just let me know...

This is what my garage ask me to order:

Gasket set for oval port heads.
TIMING CHAIN (while we are at it)
TIMING COVER GASKET
CRANK OIL SEAL (IN TIMING COVER)
SET OF HYDROLIC TAPPETS
CAM SHAFT...

This is what JEGS recomend me.

The following is a list of part numbers I would recommend for your 454 Chevy engine,

249-CL11-242-3 Comp Cams Cam & Lifter Set
249-911-16 Comp Cams Valve Springs
249-2110 Timing Set
720-4405 Cam Change gasket set for oval port heads.

Thanks in Advance...

I'd recommend a Competition Cams 268H grind. You can get one in a kit form that includes new springs and hydraulic lifters. All you'll need in the way of gaskets is an oval port intake manifold gasket set, a timing cover gasket, and a pan gasket. And a new timing chain set (comes with a new chain and both sprockets). Solid tappet cams are rarely sold anymore as the hydraulic cams are so good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot, so comp cams is a good brand then, ill order the hydraulic one then, dont know about hydraulic rollers with that I have to change something else too no? dont know anything about engines ;) I have sidepipes too, they wont sound more changing the cam no?

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Thanks a lot, so comp cams is a good brand then, ill order the hydraulic one then, dont know about hydraulic rollers with that I have to change something else too no? dont know anything about engines ;) I have sidepipes too, they wont sound more changing the cam no?

Thanks
Robert

A "roller" cam uses lifters that have a roller on the bottom that rolls on the camshaft whereas a "flat tappet" cam uses lifters that are flat on the bottom and slide on the camshaft. The roller lifters are quite expensive and you can figure a roller cam and lifters will cost you somewhere between $600 and $700. About 2-1/2 times as much as a "flat tappet" cam and lifters. A flat tappet cam will usually last as long as the engine but a roller cam will last virtually forever.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
flat tappet cams won't last as long as they used to due to oil formulations being changed

ZDDP levels ( I think that's the name ) is being lowered

1 - 7 of 7 Posts