Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made a trip to the valley when it was 100 degrees down there and my big block's temperature hit 230 F with its A/C on in city traffic. I shut it off when I reached my destination and one minute later I heard a POP followed by a long whooshing sound. The POP was my 16# pound radiator cap's relief valve popping open and the long whoosh was the expanding coolant blowing into my 5-quart coolant recovery reservoir.

About 20 minutes later I came back to my car and the temperature had dropped to 210 F and the coolant in my reservoir had been sucked back into my radiator. And that's exactly how these things are supposed to operate when the temperature exceeds the high 90's. Oh yeah, and after 20 minutes both of my fuel bowels were nearly empty because of the fuel boiling out after the hot shut down. Glad I have my push button fuel bowl priming switch so I can avoid 5 to 6 seconds of cranking to get it started.

It's perfectly normal to see coolant temperatures exceeding 210 to 212 F in the summer months and that's why I run a 205 degree thermostat all year. I get the benefit of real fast heater operation in the winter months and no change in the operation in the summer months plus better thermal efficiency all year long. A win win situation.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts