Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I vote no.....Its your car, your decision , but I know how good she could look with a good base/clear job..and you ll be getting looks for the right reason..just my opinion , of course

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
IMHO, driving around in a rat rod makes one look like they came from the backwoods and can't afford to spend the bucks to have a good looking vehicle.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I sometimes joke around and represent my old '71 as a rat rod. The truth is that, like me, she is a bit rough around the edges, of vintage stock, kinda retro sexy, LMAO, and responds well to a little of TLC. I drive this car every day, and dispite being scratched, and dirty, and smoking some, she gete constant attention. Like the time I took my 73 year old mom who is on oxygen, out to run some errands. Imagine, a bright sunny West Texas day, windows rolled down, the wind blowing her white hair all to heck, ha, ha! My mother loved it, and every where we stoped, some one commented favorably on the old car. We had a great time! assisting her getting in and out of the lowww seats was fun for both of us.

Anyways, I believe that the less than show quality of this auto, is part of her mass appeal and I am hesitant to alter this particular trait. Maybe I'm full of poop.

T.Huck

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I sometimes joke around and represent my old '71 as a rat rod. The truth is that, like me, she is a bit rough around the edges, of vintage stock, kinda retro sexy, LMAO, and responds well to a little of TLC. I drive this car every day, and dispite being scratched, and dirty, and smoking some, she gete constant attention. Like the time I took my 73 year old mom who is on oxygen, out to run some errands. Imagine, a bright sunny West Texas day, windows rolled down, the wind blowing her white hair all to heck, ha, ha! My mother loved it, and every where we stoped, some one commented favorably on the old car. We had a great time! assisting her getting in and out of the lowww seats was fun for both of us.

Anyways, I believe that the less than show quality of this auto, is part of her mass appeal and I am hesitant to alter this particular trait. Maybe I'm full of poop.

T.Huck
There is a big difference between a car that is showing some age, i.e., a little "rough around the edges" and a car that is decorated in the primer and Bondo technique.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think you need to put some kind of paint on it as a sealer to keep the harmful UV rays off of the fiberglass to protect it from shredding.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far it seems almost unanimous to paint it like planned. I know a couple guys with rat rods and they are coool, but I'm not convinced that the Corvette falls into that class. Besides, Homergoober makes a good point. I don't know how the sun and UV rays would affect the fiberglass and exposed body filler over time. I think I'll go with original plans with black bc/cc. I'm thinking of mixing in a little metallic with the paint, but nothing gaudy. Thanks for the opinions.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So far it seems almost unanimous to paint it like planned. I know a couple guys with rat rods and they are coool, but I'm not convinced that the Corvette falls into that class. Besides, Homergoober makes a good point. I don't know how the sun and UV rays would affect the fiberglass and exposed body filler over time. I think I'll go with original plans with black bc/cc. I'm thinking of mixing in a little metallic with the paint, but nothing gaudy. Thanks for the opinions.
I agree with the others Paint it !!! and Black will look great on it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
not fond of rats or rat rods

·
Registered
523 Posts
The beauty of a rat rod is the useage and mixture of different things. To make common parts. Like a piston for a shifter or an old keg for a gas tank or old license plates for pieces of body panels. I love a well put together rat rod.

BUT....

The Vette has a completely different style all together. Slick and sexy is the only way to go in my book. But again just my opinion. If you like it keep it that way. But I'd agree with some type of clear coat to protect the fiberglass.

Keep us posted and let us know what you decide to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts