Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with the aftermarket am/fm/cd the PO installed.....a Blaupunkt.....I guess i will have to replace it.....any suggestions for a nice am/fm/cd to put in?? I have the original radio (cassette) but not sure if it works....How hard would it be to test???

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It is easy to bench test a radio. All you have to do is hook up 12 volt positive battery power to it's power lead, hook up its ground lead to the batteries negative post,and hook up a speaker to one of the speakers leads.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
:rofl: Man I would get rid of that stock radio!!! That thing weighs at lesat a good 10 lbs?!?! I would look forward to in the future get a custom stereo going. I may just take it out now since my speakers don't work for some weight reduction.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I am having problems with the aftermarket am/fm/cd the PO installed.....a Blaupunkt.....I guess i will have to replace it.....any suggestions for a nice am/fm/cd to put in?? I have the original radio (cassette) but not sure if it works....How hard would it be to test???
Is it a standard none bose system? If so, do you have the Module that amplifies the speakers. It's usualy in the bin behind the passenger seat. Without it you won't be able to even test it properly.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 10 pound stereo??? Wow.....its big and a bit heavy but 10 lbs is a but much. If it works I will probably have it put back in.....I only have 2 cd's anyway. I guess i should feel lucky it doesnt have an 8-track in it. :watching:

·
Registered
700 Posts
I put a sony xplod (I know it's not top or the line equiptment) in my 87 last spring. I had to run all new speaker wires, but it was worth it and if I decide to upgrade to an even better head unit in the future the hard part is done. It has a USB port so I don't need to carry any CD's with me. as we all know space is precious in our Vettes

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it a standard none bose system? If so, do you have the Module that amplifies the speakers. It's usualy in the bin behind the passenger seat. Without it you won't be able to even test it properly.
The original radio says Delco Bose on the face.....and i do see a label that states what you said on it....I have not noticed anything in that bin....do i have to remove the bin to get too it or?? Maybe it was removed when the Blaupunkt was put in. Would a different radio not work properly with it in place??? CRAP ! ! I love my Vette but DAMN ! ! Its ALWAYS something ! ! :doh::crybaby::help::sickinbed::nopity::mad5:

·
Registered
908 Posts
The original radio says Delco Bose on the face.....and i do see a label that states what you said on it....I have not noticed anything in that bin....do i have to remove the bin to get too it or?? Maybe it was removed when the Blaupunkt was put in. Would a different radio not work properly with it in place??? CRAP ! ! I love my Vette but DAMN ! ! Its ALWAYS something ! ! :doh::crybaby::help::sickinbed::nopity::mad5:
The module is under the carpet sleeve in the storage bin / compartment behind the passenger seat.

You can put an aftermarket one in just fine. But, you will need to do some research and find out what the previous owner did to the car. There could be aftermarket speaker installed?

Let us know :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLUSH> not too sure what I was supposed to get from the link to the other post.....the radio suggestion??? Nice ....what did that set you back??? BIG BUCKS I BET ! !
It does appear the speakers are the original Bose....at least thats what it says on the grill face. It does sound good when it works. One of the problems is the radio is WAYY loud on setting 1....gets louder from there.... I looked in the manual, no way to change..... but the CD player has normal sound levels.....after the radion is on for a good while....its gets all staticy like I am out of range of the station....but I know I am not.

·
Registered
908 Posts
You could probably take it to Best Buy and they might be able to point you in the right direction as far as aftermarket head units.

I'm guessing that your current one is ether bad or the previous owner hooked the system up to the bose system incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
<BLUSH> not too sure what I was supposed to get from the link to the other post.....the radio suggestion??? Nice ....what did that set you back??? BIG BUCKS I BET ! !
It does appear the speakers are the original Bose....at least thats what it says on the grill face. It does sound good when it works. One of the problems is the radio is WAYY loud on setting 1....gets louder from there.... I looked in the manual, no way to change..... but the CD player has normal sound levels.....after the radion is on for a good while....its gets all staticy like I am out of range of the station....but I know I am not.
Thats what the converter in the link is for. It allows you to turn down the input levels to you bose speakers. Bose speakers have built in amps which is why your their way loud on low settings. Your input is too high.

The original boss I bought was about $125 off ebay. The pioneer I replaced it with came out of a mazda we bought at a auction. I swapped the boss for it.

Just looked, the boss was $175 plus shipping off ebay....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK......Please dont kick me off this site.....but What is the little blue dumaflo:doh:tchie???

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
OK......Please dont kick me off this site.....but What is the little blue dumaflo:doh:tchie???
They call it a converter (" scosche converter "). It basically is a volume control for each of the four speakers. Your radio is is putting out several watts per channel (speaker) already, which will blow out your bose speaker amps if you're not careful. With the converter you run the speaker wires thru it and adjust each speaker with the converter using a screw driver... easy piesie...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ohhhhhh....ok...... when i purchase a new radio, would this type of thing be included in the installation costs or would this be additional???

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK...thanks for that.....how do i go about checking this issue???? I was worried maybe it was a cold solder spot on the board???

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont mean to keep an old boring post alive but Ccan someone tell me how to check for the bad ground condition?? Is it just a matter of brushing the connection fron the antenna to the radio plug?? :DeadHorse::DeadHorse: THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE ! !

·
Registered
908 Posts
Personally, I think it's installed incorrectly or you have a bad Stereo (head unit). Or Both?

Did the system always do the static or did it just start? The volume loudness concerns me.

The leads are behind the HU and or in the storage bin behind the passenger seat. Disconnect the antenna leads to inspect and if there oxidized use Caigs Deoxit .
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=341-202

If it was mine, I would opt for a new HU and speakers, possibly a sub too.

Let us know! :thumbsup3:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts