Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '79 has a nasty fuel leak at the pump. Looks like a real pain to get to, I think I'll have to remove my a/c bracket and move the compressor out of the way or get to it from the bottom.

Is there anyone here who has done a fuel pump who can offer me some pointers? I'm hoping it'll be easy once I get it up on stands. It is hard to tell what's going on from the top. I'm guessing the rubber lines for the feed and return are what is causing the leak.

I'm afraid it might be the hard line going up to the intake, that might be a lot harder to repair.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure that I need to pull the pump, I'm thinking the problem might just be the rubber lines.

The car sat for 10 years before I bought it last April. Maybe I should just spend the $31 on a new pump while I'm in there.

I'm guessing the fitting for the hard line to the intake is just NPT. I thought of just putting a NPT to 3/8 hose fitting on there and running rubber up to the carb but there is probably a good reason chevy put a hard line there.

· Registered
10,483 Posts
Once you get it up on safety stands it's a real easy job. There will be a 3/8" gas hose coming from the frame to the pump's inlet and a 1/4" return hose going back to the tank. Of all the repairs needed for C3's a fuel pump is one of the easiest.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read elsewhere that I need a specific s-bend hose for the vette so I need to look into that also

Thanks for the replies

· Registered
10,483 Posts
I read elsewhere that I need a specific s-bend hose for the vette so I need to look into that also

Thanks for the replies

Uh uh, it's just a plain old 3/8" fuel hose available from any auto parts store. I prefer to use 300# "push on" hydraulic hose as it's much more durable than fuel hose.

As your '79 is now about 34 years old I strongly suggest replacing all of the fuel hoses.................the 3/8" hoses going from the tank to the engine and the 1/4" return hose.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to bite the bullet and order a new pump and that S-bend hose. I'll pick up some bulk hose from the local auto parts store when it all arrives and replace all the rubber hose I can find.

Smelling gasoline in the garage is no fun!

This is the S-bend hose:

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I heard, it would be difficult to bend normal fuel hose to easily install in the tight spot. I could probably get regular fuel line to connect but I didn't want to worry about any kinks. I guess I will find out this weekend whether or not I wasted $19 on that hose

· Registered
10,483 Posts
If you have already ordered that special "S" hose so be it but I would have simply shortened the inlet tuning several inches then used a 50 cent piece of fuel hose.

But like I said before now is a good time to replace all of the other hoses because they also have just as many miles on them. There will be a hose from the tank to the frame then another from the frame to the fuel pump then a 1/4" return hose from the fuel pump to the frame then another 1/4" hose from the frame to the top/left side of the tank.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it okay to just cut the hard line and clamp hose to it? That doesn't make the line weaker? This is why I ordered the S-hose, I didn't want to cut the existing line.

If it is okay to cut the hard line, that actually will make my life easier where I put the fuel filter, you can see the crappy bends I have in this picture:

That picture is a little old and it isn't as bad but I'd like to reroute and remove the bends completely.

I got 1/4" and 3/8" fuel hose from the store last night, I intend to work on replacing all the rubber hose this weekend. Fuel leaks are NO fun.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
leaking rubber is never good :z1-2:

· Registered
5,591 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well that changes things for me, no way I would have bought the S bend hose if I thought that was okay!

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took one of my weekday evenings and my sunday morning, but I got the pump replaced along with all the rubber under the hood for the fuel.

Found a small pipe cutter in my tool box that I forgot about and was able to make a nice clean cut on the vertical pipe:

Also pulled the tank down a little bit and replaced the feed line at the sending unit. In hindsight, I really should have had some more patience and did the return line too, but it was in pretty good condition compared to the feed line...especially after looking at this picture of the old return line next to the new feed line.

Ran the car for a bit, drove it up and down the street, so far no leaks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.