Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '75 Stringray from my best friend's dad. He put alot of time and work into it. There are still a few items that need to be addressed...

1) Soft brakes - I am replacing the master cylinder per discussion w/ the previous owner.

2)Brake light is on - I saw some good discussion on the forum and I will see if it goes out w/ change of master cylinder and STOMPING on brakes :)

3) Tach doesn't work - Haven't given this any thought yet

4) Gauge backlighting doesn't work - checked fuse panel and nothing obvious there.

I would love to hear from some folks.

I would love to post some pictures, but don't see how to do that right off hand...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Congrats on your '75, I hope you have a lot of fun and enjoyment with it! Also, welcome to the SV Forum, lots of great people here!

To help answer your questions: as for numbers 1 and 2, I think you are on the right track. I would also suggest bleeding the air from the brakes, but this will be done anyway if a new M/C is put on. For number 3, if you can disconnect the tach cable from the distributor, and spin it by hand and have someone look into the car to see if the gauge works then. If not, the cable may just be bad (broken) or perhaps the gears inside the distributor that turns the cable could be worn. For number 4, the gauge cluster ground wire could be bad (dirty or disconnected, etc) or even the light switch in the dash could have a worn spot in the rheostat or another malfunction. I don't think they are very expensive so you might consider looking into that, too.

I am sure others will post up on these or other possible fixes or suggestions for your problems, and hopefully get you back in order. As for posting pics, you have to have a minimum number of posts (10?) to be able to put up pics.

Hope you get it all figured out, and continue to enjoy your new-to-you Vette, and enjoy the forum, too!

Big T

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have fun with your new purchase. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Ron

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car pictures

I'd love to share some pics... I need to get a few more posts up before that. Thanks all.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi minkus316, you bought your best friend’s Dad’s Vette? No offense, but if you were my best friend and bought my Dad’s Vette . . . you wouldn’t be anymore and I’d be shopping around for a new Dad!!!! Unless they already bought Mom’s which was 1½ - 2 years newer, in better shape & faster!

As for your problems, his Dad diagnosed #1 & that is what’s wrong? Ok, & it should take care of the brake light too. Definitely bleed out all four brake lines. My only experience with a dead tac was the cable and am lucky enough to have friends & relatives that know about the other stuff like Big T Machine was suggesting to you to try. His advice on the electronics makes sense. If that was me with the problem . . . see friends & relatives above. If that’s all it needs, it doesn’t seem all that bad or expensive. Congrats on your new toy . . . and hope you still have a best friend. 8^)

Brian

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Brian,

My friend had a 70's Vette in high school that he and his dad redid. He was glad that I bought his dad's Vette to keep it in good hands. No worries about losing a friend :) Thanks for the advice. Others agree that bleeding the brakes is absolutely necessary?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The '75 has an electrical tach. There is a circuit board in it that tends to go bad. Mine did. I bought a replacement from one of the major vendors. I think it was about $60. Good luck with your '75. I've been maintaining mine for 28 years.

·
Premium Member
8,572 Posts
Hi Brian,

My friend had a 70's Vette in high school that he and his dad redid. He was glad that I bought his dad's Vette to keep it in good hands. No worries about losing a friend :) Thanks for the advice. Others agree that bleeding the brakes is absolutely necessary?
Congrats on the vette. I also have a 75 that sits in the garage now since I bought my wife a C6. She now refers to mine as just the other vette.:crybaby: I prefer FIRST BORN. :thumbsup3::thumbsup3: You for sure need to bleed the brakes. Good luck and keep us posted.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome :seeya: the tach circuit board is most likely your problem. When and if you choose to replace it make sure you buy one that specifically states it is calibrated for 75-77 corvettes. Ecklers and one other vendor sell a board that is not calibrated and does not work.

I believe, Zip, Corvette america and a few others sell the correct one. I bought one from Ecklers and installed it only to find out I wasted my time, second one I bought works like a charm.

You will need to remove the drivers side dash panel to take the tach unit out, the install of the board is simple the dash removal is not so simple but worth the effort.

While you have it apart you can check the Gauge lights which is probably a ground problem. Each instrument (speedo, tach and center gauge cluster) has a ground wire, that's where I would start looking since none of the bulbs seem to work and fuses are good.

Good luck with your new car and enjoy her :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need to bleed the brakes. I was hoping to get by without doing that. None of the gauge backlights are working, so probably not individual ground wires. Is there one fuse that does the backlights for all the instrument panel? I might try cleaning the contacts on that fuse if so. This Vette is my first dip into car maintance and repair other than changing oil and replacing light bulbs. Thanks for all the advice. Only a few more posts until I get get some pics out.

·
Premium Member
8,572 Posts
I got a photo album loaded. Let me know if you can see the pics and what you think.
Sweet looking 75, I love the side pipes.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
221 Posts
On my 77 there is a fuse that feeds just the dashlights. its the small one located closest to the floorboard. Mine takes a 5 AMP SFE Fuse.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice looking vette. Hope you have some time this year to enjoy it. So far I have founf Full Throttle to be the least expensive on parts that I can not get through my local auto parts store.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice!

Hi minkus316, good looking Vette! 525hp is going to be a LOT of fun too. You get some pretty nasty winters out your way . . . and then send that stuff east to me . . . but hope you can get another month or so of weather decent enough to be able to go out & play with it a bit. I've been kickin around buying my brothers 82, it's going to need completely redone, but staying in the family. I've sold cars to friends and neighbors too, and was glad that someone I know can enjoy them, hopefully as much as I did. Enjoy your new fast ride!

Brian

1 - 20 of 29 Posts