Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after enduring two years of sporadic tunes. I finally decided to replace the HU and the Bose speakers. I was fighting with myself, trying to determine which way to go. Corvette Central had a nice replacement HU and I started to go that way...but then I kept looking and searching. Did a ton of reading on audio threads of numerous Corvette Boards. The Bose speakers and amps all tested fine but then I got to thinking that 2011 technology is most likely better than 1984 technology, so I elected to rip out the old Bose speakers as well...so without any further stalling.

I chose the Sony DSX-S200X, it has several features already in place that will allow me to upgrade at a later date if I so choose, so I went with it. I like the fact that it has the hideaway door/docking station that I can put my 80GB iPod in...it allows me to fully control the iPod via the remote or the units buttons on the face plate. I like gadgets...so it gave me something else to play with. Unit came with the Scochese (SP?) wiring adapter and mounting bracket gear...very nice fit and finish - I'll post photos later.

Speakers, someone on here was really talking up the Infinity Kappa Series speakers, so I hit the Google trail hard and couldn't find a single bad review on them...so I bit and plunked down the greenbacks for a pair of 692.9i (6x9's) for the rear and a set of 62.9i (6 1/2's) for the front. Well....I have the 6x9's installed, going to install the 6 1/2's in the doors tomorrow (due to time constraints)...let me just say - HOLYSHIT!!! What a HUGE fugging difference! This setup with only the 6x9's playing right now, sounds incredible! I can hardly wait until I get the door speakers replaced to hear the whole package.

Subwoofer and Amp....I'm really still on the fence about this, I'm not the type that enjoy's the loud beating your brains out bass, so I may skip the subwoofer altogether but I'm still thinking about purchasing the 4 channel Infinity Kappa series amp to liven up the 4 new speakers.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the sound quality and I'm certain that by tomorrow afternoon I'll be even happier with the tunes rolling out of my 84!

One other thing ... if anyone is interested in a set of used but still good sounding original equipment Bose speakers PM me, we'll talk $$$, good deal here, I just don't want to store them or as my wife says "hoard something else"! LOL!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So....I took my time pulling my door panels off, was very careful not to break anything (hard old plastic pieces)...was a relatively easy job, just time consuming.

Here's a GREAT Reference website: http://www.carstereohelp.com/strcorvette.htm

Now...I'm pretty certain that I'm going to have to fab some sort of ported enclosure for the door speakers. I'm getting that hollow, not quite distorted sound but only when I crank it up loudly and I'm 99% positive that I'm going to purchase that 4 channel Infinity Kappa Amp...speakers have so much more untapped potential. Overall the sound is great, just time for a bit of tweaking to get it where I want it.

Oh...and I also realized that my door panels are in horrible condition...guess they'll be on my list of "replacement parts and pieces". Found numerous cracks in the plastic forms - ALL OVER. Threw some epoxy on those spots to "keep it together...Oh well, car IS 27 years old! This is actually kind of funny, I had a bunch of unknown, cracks and squeeks while rolling around, most are gone know that I removed the panels and put it all back together! LOL!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some sound deadener in the door will help.
Good suggestion, I have some matting/sound deadener left over from a previous car project. I'll give that a shot.:thumbsup3:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts